Chapter 55

Skye was temporarily stunned by the older woman’s acknowledgement. Twenty seconds passed as she processed how her grandmother had greeted her, warmth evident in her voice. “You know who I am?” she asked with a gobsmacked whisper. Skye felt Grant’s hand pressing against her lower back, letting her know that he was there.

A slow smile flitted across Ana’s lips and she gave a simple nod of the head,  moving her hand from the brunette’s shoulder and placing it on her cheek. “We thought we lost you,” she admitted sadly as emotion filled her eyes. “But you're here.”

Melinda finally pulled from the shock of her mother being here and started walking towards her. She stopped on the left side of her daughter since the specialist was on her right. Her eyes remained locked on her mother.  “Mama? What are you doing here?” she asked with curiosity.  

Ana turned her eyes toward her daughter. “I came to see my granddaughter with my own eyes,” she answered straightforward. “Did you really think I wouldn’t come after you told me about her being alive?”

Melinda didn’t know what to say. She was an only child, so Skye was her only grandchild. Of course she would want to meet her.

Ana turned her eyes towards the blue eyed agent who was still lingering near the elevator bay, expressing slight apprehension . “Are you going to stand there all day, Phillip?” she questioned in a sober tone. “Or are you going to join your family?”

Phil hadn’t move because he wasn’t sure how the older woman would react to seeing him after all these years, especially now that he was back with her daughter. Phil knew that Ana knew since Melinda would have told her. He always liked and respect Ana. She was a strong and stubborn woman, just like her daughter and his. She had raised Melinda all by herself when her husband had died when Melinda was ten. Melinda’s dad had been a S.H.I.E.L.D agent that had died in line of duty and was the reason Melinda had joined S.H.I.E.L.D.

Phil made his way toward his family, stopping beside Melinda and resting his hand on her lower back as his eyes locked onto the older woman. “It’s been a long tim-”

“Ten years, five months and thirteen days,” Ana retorted, expressionless. Ana liked making the younger man squirm, she liked Phillip. He was a good man and loved her daughter unconditionally, but it was fun to play with him.

Phil loosened the tie around his neck with his free hand as he smiled nervously at the older woman. Man, May women had memories like elephants, he couldn’t help but think. “Uh, well…”

Ana ignored his response and turned her attention towards the S.H.I.E.L.D issued looking agent standing beside her granddaughter, his hand evidently on her back. It was obvious that they were together, even if Melinda hadn't told her. “Like mother, like daughter,” she commented as a smile tugged at her lips. 

“Takes one to know one,” Melinda commented, deadpanned.

Ana turned her gaze onto her only child. “I’m never worked for S.H.I.E.L.D,” she retorted.

“I was referring to Bà,” she expressed, a tinge of sadness in her voice.

“And I was never Mel’s S.O,” Phil piped up from his spot. “Only her partner.”

Skye was finding the interaction between her parents and grandmother amusing. She glanced sideways at her S.O and mouthed ‘Bà’ curious to whom her mother was referring to before.

‘Dad’ he mouthed back.

Skye’s eyes widened in surprise.  “My Grandfather is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D?” she asked out loud. Why hadn’t her mother mentioned that, not that she ever talked about herself and the whole mother/ daughter relationship was pretty knew - still, her father never mentioned it either and he loved to talk.