Chapter Fifty Eight

Gold Coast Hinterlands - 21:21 p.m - Weston’s House

Natasha was standing in the doorway of Lillian’s room as she watched the child sleep. She was still holding her phone in her hand from the phone call she had received several minutes ago. She didn’t think it would be this hard. Natasha didn’t think she would get this attached this quick. She had no idea how long she would be gone, but Natasha knew that she was going to miss this little girl like crazy during her absence.

Natasha was pulled from her thoughts when she heard the sound of Clint’s footsteps coming up behind her and felt his hand rest on her shoulder a moment later. She closed her eyes and absorbed in his touch.

“Do you know where they’re sending you?” he asked as he stopped beside her.

Natasha shook her head. “Hill just said that I’m needed in DC and that she is in New York,” she supplied. “There was no mention of Lily so I don’t think she knows about her it or didn't say anything on purpose. I didn’t say anything because I don’t know how secure the line is.”

The pair continued to watch the five year old in silence for a couple of minutes.

Natasha knew that she had to wake Lillian and tell her that she would be gone for a short amount of time since she didn’t want the child waking and thinking that she abandon her. She released a heavy sigh before walking into the room and headed straight for the little girl’s bed.

Natasha knelt down beside the girl’s bed. “Lilly,” she whispered as she gently shook the girl’s shoulder. “Lil,” she expressed a little louder.

The five year old slowly started to stir and a minute passed before she actually woke up, her sleepy blue eyes looking at her with curiosity. 

Natasha smiled at the girl. “Hey Kiddo,” she said softly. “Sorry to wake you, but I have to head into work for a few days, maybe longer.”

Lillian’s eyes widen a little as she sat up, her bottom lip started to tremble. She was leaving her? Had she done something wrong? 

Nastasha could tell that the child was on the verge of crying and it stung her. She knew that she had to assure the child that it was nothing that she did and that she wasn’t losing another parent. Natasha lifted a hand to the girl’s face. “I promise you that I will be back, Lily. I am not leaving you, just going away for a little bit for work. Cli-Daddy is staying here with you. He’s gonna be right here and not going anywhere. You will not be alone,” she promised the girl, softly.

Lillian instantly launched herself into her new mother’s arms, wrapping her arms around the older woman’s neck and hugging her tightly. “C-come back to me,” she whispered in a graveled tone as a few tears slid down her cheeks.

Natasha felt a gasp slip from her lips at hearing the child talk for the first time. Her voice was husky, most likely because of the lack of talking for the last year - but she heard the australian accent. The red headed spy felt a strong wave of emotions wash over her and tears sting her eyes. Natasha absorbed in the five year old’s hug. “I promise,” she whispered, swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat.   

Clint was standing in the doorway, stunned. Lillian just talked. He knew that the girl was growing an attachment to her, but he hadn’t expected it to happen this quick. He always knew that Natasha would make an excellent mother. Just watching the two of them in this moment made Clint love Natasha even more. 

(Same Day)

New York