Chapter Eleven

Melinda and Natasha entered the room a few minutes later, both with emotionless expression washed over them as they walked towards the large screen and stood in front of it. 

“Sir,” Melinda greeted her boss, deadpanned. Natasha just folded her arms and glared.

Nick gave a curt nod of the head. “Agent May,” he greeted back, turning his eyes onto his assassin. “Agent Romanoff,” he added. “I understand that yourself and Agent Barton are taking some time off which I will allow because of recent events, but the Twisted Sisters are needed for a classified mission that only you two can complete. It won’t take more than an hour tops,” he assured her.

Natasha was curious to what the mission was that they would need both Melinda and herself. She ignored the 'codename' that Nick Fury has used. It had been over a decade since she had heard it. “What is it?” she asked. Why not her and Clint? 

Nick turned his eyes towards the team leader. “You can leave now, Agent Coulson,” he told him.  

Phil had been watching Melinda when he had heard his bosses words. He turned his head towards the screen. Had he heard right? “Sir?” he voiced, uncertain. “I can’t know about the mission’s details?”

Nick shook his head. “It’s need to know,” he expressed. “And you don’t need to know,” he answered, a-matter-a-factly.

Phil was stunned. He was getting kicked out of a mission briefing?  He turned his eyes towards Melinda who was staring the screen with an emotionless expression. She hadn’t looked at his way once since entering the room.

“Agent Coulson,” Nick Fury’s voice called. “Leave!” he ordered.

Phil tore his eyes from Melinda as he turned away and walked out of the room. He then heard the door look and then the glass window walls fogged up. He couldn’t see in. The director had completely locked him out!

“Come have a drink,” Clint’s voice came from somewhere behind him.

Phil turned his head towards the bar area to where his good friend was sitting, a drink in his hand. Phil made his way towards the bar.

“You got a good selection here, Phil,” Clint told his surrogate big brother.

Phil was fuming. He was level eight! “He kicked me out of the mission debriefing,” he voiced, anger rising in his voice. “I know certain things are classified but this is my team! Melinda is my …” he words trailed off.

Clint raised an eyebrow. “Your what?” he asked, bringing the glass to his lips once again.

My everything!  “My friend,” Phil answered as let out a heavy sigh.

Clint placed the glass down on the bar surface and shook his head, releasing a dry chuckle. “When are you going to admit that you still love her? Life is short, Phil! You of all people know that. You got a second chance … stop wasting it!”

Phil stood frozen in his spot. He was surprised by his friend’s words. Phil knew that he and Melinda needed to talk and they would, but right now he stood on the outside. He hated this feeling of not knowing what was going on - on the inside. Nick Fury has kept too many secrets from him. Why was he calling personally?

“Just wait until the girls come out and ask them what’s going on,” Clint supplied from his bar stool. “Come have a drink with a brother.”

Phil wasn’t sure that it was going to be that easy. “And if they don’t tell us? He said it was need to know and we don’t fall under that category. If they’re ordered not to tell us, then they won’t.”