Chapter 26

I hear my alarm going off and it seems so far away. I reach over hoping I'm at least close to it. Luckily I seem to be because I heard it stop. When I opened my eyes I realized what a bad idea it was because my head was pounding. I closed my eyes again but not before seeing what time it is. I need to get up soon otherwise I'm going to be late.

"Jessy!" I hear from downstairs. Crap. Maybe I'm late already.

"I'm up!" I yell back.

"You're going to be late!" I hear Dianna.

"I'll be down in 10 minutes!" I yell back to her.

She replies, "There's a granola bar on the counter for breakfast!"

I opened my eyes again, stumbling out of bed, and close my curtains. With a hangover like this I cannot handle the sun. I turn my light on instead and it's at least dimmer than the actual sun. I make my way into the bathroom and the first thing I do is take an aspirin. If I'm going to school like this I need something to at least get rid of this headache. Considering I am still feeling terrible I get dressed in the first outfit I can put together and put my hair in a quick ponytail.

I walk back into the bathroom and put a simple natural layer of make-up on. Wait, maybe that's not a good idea; maybe someone will notice something. I throw eyeliner, foundation, and cover up in my purse just in case. I walk downstairs to meet the rest of the family so we can go to school.

I see the granola bar on the counter but I still feel too sick. I turn away to meet the others by the front door but I run into Dianna.

"What about breakfast?" she asks.

I groan but quickly realize I should keep my mouth shut. Considering the therapist and my past I know I will get a lecture if I don't at least take the granola bar. I grab it from the counter and keep it in my hands as I walk with Dianna to the car. I get in the car with everybody else and they drive us to school. My headache starts subsiding during the ride and I can feel the urge to use again coming through.

Suddenly I figure out it's withdraws. Great. I need to get my hand on something. I look around at the others and when I know they're not looking I throw the granola bar in my bag. Food is the last thing on my mind.

I jump out of the car when they pull in and walk to the school. Technically we're already late so the family will simply think I'm anxious to get to class. They will not, hopefully, see how anxious and jumpy I am. I walk in the building and open my locker. I hang up my backpack and keep my purse with me as I go into the bathroom.

I walk in, checking every stall, and pull out my phone when I see that it's empty. I take out the small piece of paper I got from the club last night and call it.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hi. I got your number from the club last night. The guy though I might be interested."

"Are you?"

"Yes," I quickly answer. Weird, his voice sounds familiar. I shake it off. "How soon can I get some?"

"I'll meet you at noon."

"Great! Where?"

"Downtown a block from the Mexican restaurant on the corner."

"I'll meet you there."

"Have money ready."

"See you then," I say and hang up. Thank goodness.

I release a sigh and walk back to my locker. I take out my notebook and book but I hear the bell ring. Crap, now I have to explain being late to class. I walk down the hallway and take a turn into the classroom.