Chapter 8

The rest of Monday night was fun. Everyone left around 11 since the adults had work the next day. Linda and Lamar were the first to leave so my aunt put Jimmy to bed and Ana and I watched High School Musical. Apparently I'm the first person to show it to her, lucky me. Somehow she knew some of the words, so I'm not sure about that one.

Today has been awesome too. It was awesome to be able to be on the East Coast beach again. California is pretty and all, but nothing close to here.

The kids were on their best behavior to so we got there around ten, stayed until three, got dinner at the world famous Iggy's restaurant. Right now we're eating at another beach about 10 minutes away. It's not official and has a lot of rocks. This is where I grew up when my parents took my brother and I camping.

One of my best memories was coming back here when I was 13 or 14 and watching the sunset at the ledge of a hill. Normally I would take a walk on the rocks but the kids are too little physically to climb them.

"I wanna get engaged here."

My aunt looks at me weirdly.

"What, why?"

I shrug, "This place is so pretty and I grew up here."

"I know but you could be anywhere in the world, with unlimited money and such."

My grandmother just looks at her, "Michele, you don't know the story of this place do you?"

She shakes her head.

"A couple of years ago Ryan and Lyn took Jessy and Justin here. They basically walked them through their childhood and they watched the sunset together."

"Okay, I get that; but what's so special about that?"

I get a flashback to a song about rocks. I remember writing that when I got home that day.

"Did I wrote a song called Rock by Rock?"

They all nod. Ana gets up and recites, "Rock by rock. Day by Day. Inch by Inch. Love by love, by love."

We all clap as she sits back down proudly; I give her a high five.

"Well, I actually wrote it about this place. See, Justin and my dad were walking the rocks and I really wanted to even though I'm scared of heights. I ended up climbing up and, as we're walking my dad says, 'Jess you have to go rock by rock'. For whatever reason that really and has stuck with me."

They kind of just nod their head. I get a little sad again and Memere gives me a hug.

Jimmy says, "What does it mean to be engaged?"

Ana says, "I got this one. You know that song, first comes love, second comes marriage, third comes the baby in the baby carriage."

He nods his head.

"Well, when you're in love that's just your boyfriend. Then when the boy realizes just how much he loves you, he decides he wants to marry you. So he then gets on his knee and gives you the most beautiful ring he can find. That's called engagement, the time between boyfriend and girlfriend and being married!"

Jimmy says, "Daddy, are you and mommy married?"

Uncle Matt laughs, "Of course. I love mommy very much!"

He gives Aunt Michele a kiss on the cheek.

Jimmy exclaims, "Ewwy!"

We all laugh and my grandmother and I look at each other at the same time and nod. We both lunge at him and give him kisses everywhere. Moments like this really can't be bought.