CHAPTER 73 - HOSPITAL

A few days have passed since that day with the business deal and all of the changes we plan to make to our system.

One thing that still is still hard to believe is the fact that Adam wanted to get married to me. We were barely dating or anything like that- then again, when has anything ever been normal? I smiled to myself as Adam and I walked into the hospital as I admired my engagement ring that was still in its box.

I couldn't wear it- it meant too many things at once. And us nor the world was ready for it. Even so, I couldn't believe that things would move that quickly with us but a business deal is a business deal after all.

I breathed in slowly as Adam parted ways with me once we had made it up the hospital stairs and headed for Georgie's room while I opened Tracy's door. Once I had entered, her eyes met mine before she smiled. She didn't say anything as she played some games on her phone. She kept smiling while doing so, things were finally looking better- for the long run too.

One of the more complicated things to set up was the internet for everyone and everywhere. Father said it would take a couple of months in order to achieve such ideas but we'll do anything in our power to make everything right. At least, for now, we all had access to come to the Upper District with identification cards for hospital care and food.

I looked at the poster on the wall which promoted more agricultural workers to provide for everyone and especially the Upper District since we will be the ones distributing the goods from now on. Question is, when will that happen exactly? Everything was so focused on us as a capital that we forgot about everyone else.

Now, the internet is so expensive even when we share our money with everyone else. Either way, we were and in a way, still are in abundance while they were stuck in poverty.

"You finally did it. I'm glad- and you brought Davies. I have to ask- how are they?" She said as she ran her fingers through her hair before I laid eyes on her amputated legs before feeling the guilt sink in.

Tracy will need a wheelchair, won't she? Sighing, I sat next to her and held her hand. She noticed my engagement ring box in my hands straight away and smiled at me.

"Don't worry- she ain't proposing to you Trace. We're here to do all the talking." Hannah said as she dragged Davies into the room by the arm.

Tracy looked at them for a while, not being able to tear her eyes away from Davies as he glanced away before shrugging his shoulders.

"I'm sure we can catch up." He muttered as he scratched his neck.

"We had to get some things from our old place, that's all- sorry for being late." Hannah said as she held Tracys hand, their eyes met and for a moment I thought I saw something change in Tracys eyes. I wasn't quite sure what I had seen though.

I sighed as I pulled out a chair for Davies before walking towards the door.

"I better leave you to it then- I'll see you at the party." I said as I closed the door, leaving no room for debate.

****

I couldn't believe the light that was in the corridor after I had passed Tracy's room, almost all of the room doors were opened to reveal the masses of people with various illnesses, all fatigued, injured and malnutrutished.

My fingers traced the wooden signs that were nailed into the wall recently with the room numbers on. Surely, these will be improved otherwise everyone will get splinters. Room seventy eight, that's where Adam and Georgie will be.

My stomach churned at the thought of Georgie not making it as I recalled the way she passed out as she stood next to Julie. I haven't seen Julie since forever- we have a lot to catch up on. Just like everyone else here. It's a work in progress for sure.

I didn't realise that I was as still as a statue as I held onto the door handle, preparing for whatever was behind it. The image of Georgie lying on the bed, eyes closed, stained blue with bruises and covered in blood was all that I could think of- injections everywhere. Just like how I was once.

I remembered how peaceful it was at the time, how empty and how lonely it was to only be seen by doctors for two months to teach me how to walk again.

My thoughts were interrupted by the door being yanked open and I was face to face with Adam. I looked away as I walked in slowly, it was the exact same room I was in.

The sun's rays still peeked through the blinds and the white walls were now covered in get well messages and flowers in the corner of the table. Tears streamed down my face as I heard Georgie laughing while sitting up on the bed, getting her hair combed and dyed for the party later today.

"Georgie!" I said as I ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

Adam walked towards the bed and sat next to her. I felt mine and Adam's hands brush against each other when I stopped hugging Georgie and' it may be cliche to say that I felt a spark, but this was so much more than that. But this time I knew exactly what answer I was going to give when the time was right.

Julie smiled at us while combing Georgie's hair. I could tell she was refraining from hugging the life out of me when she gave me one of those smiles and her yes darted away to focus on the task at hand.

"Nurse has let her out for today- won't be long until Georgie can get out of here." Julie said as she looked at Adam and us with a small grin, "Out of all things, I never thought you'd bring a child like her- she's amazingly smart for her age... and she likes painting too which is an absolute bonus."

"Well- I know that for sure." I said as Adam elbowed me.

I looked at him for a moment as Georgie began to speak.

"What have you always wanted to study?" Georgie asked as she smiled.

"Medicine," I muttered as I looked away, "wanted to be a doctor."

"I had no idea you wanted to do medicine. I'm sure we can arrange something, can't we?" Adam said as Julie shook her head, I noticed how her eyes had little yellow specs in them. I guess that's one similarity between Eagle-I mean Max and her.

"We used to sit in the class with Hannah. It might be too late- you're two years behind your degree."

Georgie rubbed her knuckles as Adam got up and pulled the blinds open.

"It's never too late." He said as he turned around and looked at me with his loving gaze and I felt as if it was just us in the room until Georgie spoke.

I could feel my heart race as I looked back on how we first met and how we are now. I'll never forget that moment that I turned around and saw him as I ripped off the bandages from my cheek in the bathroom. I couldn't help but feel nostalgic at the sight of this room and us being in it.

We met here- just a few paces away from where he was standing right now. I looked at the door to the bathroom and I could feel all of the memories rush back in my mind. I know what I want now. I know who I am.

"I wanna to do medicine too." Georgie said as she ran her fingers through her hair, admiring how it was in a plait for the first time before looking at me with a small smile.

"Why do you want to do medicine all of a sudden?" Adam asked as Julie looked at the engagement ring in the box before patting my back and taking a flower out of the vase and placing it in Georgie's hair as she left the room.

Georgie rubbed her chin before pointing to the ceiling.

"We can give people the help they need- and I think it'll be really fun to study for the first time with Dani." She said with a smile, revealing her dimples as she swung her arms around in the air even though the needle to the drip was inserted in her wrist.

I smiled as I rubbed her cheek with my hand as I started to think about Adam and I talked about before. Would George really want me as her stepmother?

"I guess I'm back in business." Father said from outside the room before the bursting in with a small smile on his face when he saw us all surrounding Georgie, "parties in a few hours. See you there."