CHAPTER 61 - GLASS

CHAPTER 61 - GLASS

A few hours had passed since Adam explained everything to me, but it all seemed as if it was a few minutes.

"Man, how are we going to get out of here?" Adam muttered under his breath before looking at me.

"We didn't fall too far down, but the exit is a start." I said as I cracked my knuckles.

Adam smiled for a moment until he furrowed his brow. What was on his mind? Did he just remember something?

"We left our bags in Eagles house." He said before running his fingers through his hair, as he leaned against the wall.

I was so caught up with everything that I didn't realise that we had left our bags in the house- in fact, that was the last thing on my mind with all of the things that have been happening. I need to get my journal from my bag and Adam will need to get his scarf otherwise everyone will know who he is.

My heart pounded in my chest as I thought about the place we needed to be at to find the person who saved me. At this point, it almost seems pointless to pursue such a thing. But then I remembered that there was no turning back- Ryan will find us either way and try and kill us. So it's either find them and find a way out of this complicated mess that we got ourselves in.

"What will we do about Hannah?" I asked as I looked away from Adam's stare.

I couldn't meet his eyes after realising how much we have to do to get out of this mess. This won't be easy but nothing ever has been. And that is what will keep me going. I need to find justice in this place. My mother, Ryan and all of them will pay. But what if the person who saved me is luring me into a trap? We will never be able to know unless we go straight into it- follow their directions and see how long we can cope.

"No idea. But we'll see." Adam said, turning around with his hand reaching out to me.

Smiling, I held his hand as we headed for an exit, feeling my heart race. Not long after though, I let go of his hand and walked towards the outside of the cave. Adam looked away, as he stretched the hand that he held my hand with. We've held hands before but why does it feel different?

His touch also lingered on me, it was strange. Right now, it didn't matter. Focus on the task at hand, Dani. Not the man standing next to you. I couldn't believe I was scolding myself. I've felt this way since he was kidnapped.

My hands traced against the rock that surrounded us as we walked out into the light. All I could see was the lush grasslands and a river that was in the distance. We didn't fall too deep though, did we? Why wasn't this visible before?

"Oh- we're here." Adam muttered as he chuckled.

I smiled back at him, noticing how his skin glowed as the sun shone on his face. Grabbing his shirt from the floor, I threw it at him before following the path as it went uphill. We didn't say anything as we went further away from the cave, I turned around and saw Eagles house.

"How on earth didn't we realise this before?" I said, breaking the silence as we walked over the stream of water and onto the dirt path. It reminded me of the walks me and Julie used to make in the countryside. Maybe I should take Georgie there too- there's a ton of dogs there. I'm sure she'd enjoy it. Will she get better until we return?

I stepped over the rocks as I felt the water seep into my shoes and soak my socks- the sound of them squelching made Adam laugh.

Adam pulled his shirt down his body, wiping down any water that was on him before putting the shirt on. When we finally made it up the slope, I imagined what this place would look like if it snowed. Sleighing would be amazing on this hill- Adam and I should do that one day. I'd love to see his expression when I'd throw a snowball at him or he accidently sleighs right into the cave and goes through the cold water.

I didn't realise that I was smiling to myself until Adam looked at me with his eyebrows raised. Looking away, Adam laughed as he pointed at me.

"You're blushing." He muttered as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

I didn't say anything. Instead, I ran up to Eagles house and jumped over the wooden fence before turning around and sticking my tongue out at Adam as I did the loser sign on my forehead. What has gotten into me? He smiled as he walked to the front gate and opened it calmly, as if he wasn't bothered by how I was acting.

"I see you're in a good mood." He said as he walked up the stairs and opened the door before standing there for a few moments next to me.

We both stood on the same step as he glanced at me until I rushed inside, feeling my butterflies in my stomach.

"The bags." I said, "where did we leave them?"

Adam didn't say anything at first until he walked into the living room. I followed him as the voice in my head wouldn't keep quiet.

"Here." He said, grabbing the bags as I headed towards the bookshelf near the window.

I opened the white curtains open, feeling the silk slip out of my hands when I let go of it. I couldn't help but notice the stain I left on it afterwards with my dirty hands as I was reminded of the horrors of periods for some reason. Adam stood next to me as he looked outside and then glancing at the door now and then. He was on the lookout as usual- with him around, you can never keep your guard down. Though, I wonder what does take him off guard apart from doors flying in his face or me fainting whenever I remember something or when someone tries to stab me. Aside from all the violent surprises, what else takes him off guard?

My fingers traced the hardbacks that were on the bookshelf and I was reminded of the Fireplace and the secret door. I felt homesick as I picked up a book and realised that it was Eagle's favourite author. I better get used to calling him Max soon if he ever meets Julie. 

Otherwise, the explanation would be awkward. I smiled to myself as Adam walked up to me and placed his hand on my shoulder reassuringly.

I looked out the window again as I saw a car pull up. I watched the person as they got outside of the car and made their way towards us with something in their hand.

"Ready to go?" He said as I looked up at him.

Adam smiled at me as I nodded. He didn't notice the person or the car.

If only things could stay like this forever. If only moments like these could last longer- if only Georgie was here. Then this would be perfect. And everyone else too. But they meant more to me. They feel like the family I never knew I had or that I knew existed.

Before I could tell him the person was there, it was too late.

"Look out!" Adam shouted.

The person threw whatever was in their hand at the window, our eyes met and I noticed the mask straight away. For some reason, I was frozen. I couldn't move as I watched the rock make its way towards the window.

Adam pulled me towards him as the glass shard flew against my cheek. He pushed the curtains out of his way, and towards the smashed window as the person ran into their car. I heard the sound of the engine/exhaust rumbling away into the distance.

I felt blood rush down my cheek as I realised how his arm was bleeding too from the glass. The rock landed on the ground.

Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around Adam's neck and felt him press his soft lips press against mine as we fell to the floor that was surrounded by glass shards before everything faded to black.