CHAPTER 21 - RISKS WITHIN

Once I woke up, I was no longer on the bar floor. My palms were sweaty at the thought of being somewhere else. Who moved me? Where am I? I couldn't remember what had happened so I was left dumbfounded at the sight of my bloody clothes. 

As soon as I tried to get up, pain shot up through my back as I felt warm blood trickle down my skin and onto the bed. Everything was silent as I pulled off the covers, the sound of my whimpers and curses were the only thing that could be heard.

Looking around the room, I took account of everything that was there. The wooden table which had a notepad and pen, the pair of slippers near the wooden door. It reminded me of the fireplace. It had grey concrete walls and floors here too.

The room was practically empty as I noticed the first aid kit box hung up on the wall. I instantly felt as if something was missing and that's when it hit me. 

I thought of everything that happened as I looked at my nails and started to bite them. Soon, the door was opened in a rush. The sound of it hitting the wall echoed in my ears as Grant and Eagle came in. Eagle limped slightly as he held a tray with bandages and a bowl and Grant came in as his usual bartender clothes. As soon as I saw Eagle, a few moments rushed back.

"Adam! Where is he?" I said as I met Eagles eyes, "you were supposed to be in bed!" 

"He was with you." Eagle muttered as he placed the tray onto the table after moving the notepad.

Everything replayed in my mind like a never-ending dream. The fight, the things they said. Hoyt wants me dead and he's making Adam pay the price. My skin grew cold as I tried my hardest to stop crying.

"He's been kidnapped by the Rioters," I said, "Hoyt sent them. That bastard."

They looked at each other before Eagle fiddled with his hands.

"Shit!" He said as he paced around the room while rubbing his forehead, "what are we gonna do?"

Grant looked away as he handed me a bottle of beer as he tried to convince me that it would help with the pain. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not so I took a few sips before thinking. How could he remain calm in a situation like this? 

He then told me Adam would make it as he's been through worse and how he's watched him grow over the past few years since he ran away from home. Adam saw Grant as a father figure, I smiled as I remembered how he acted when he saw Grant in the bar and how happy everyone was as soon as Adam came in. 

As soon as I thought that, I noticed how Grant pulled onto his collar and with that, I stopped smiling. He's not calm.

"We're saving Adam." I said.

Eagle stopped pacing around as soon as those words escaped my mouth. He stood there still needing scowling. Grant looked at the door as he rubbed his goatee, hoping that he could get out of here.

"We can't. Not with you in a state like that, Dani. Don't be careless." Eagle said as Grant remained silent.

"Fine," I muttered as I thought how strange it felt to be without Adam, a part of me felt hollow as I remembered what had happened. 

I tried to sit up not every part of my body ached. Eagle sighed as he helped me up. Grant placed the tray on my lap before looking outside. A thought rushed into my head. I wonder if he has a wife, I've never seen her around. Wait, does this old man even have kids? What am I thinking? I scolded myself mentally.

"Thank you, Gramps." I said before smiling, this old man doesn't really speak much for a bartender. Maybe Adam brings him out of his shell.

"Hey! Now, I ain't that old just yet." He muttered as Eagle grabbed my water bottle from the tray and drank it.

"Alright, alright!" I said before pausing, "Gramps." 

He laughed, Eagle leaned against the window sill just like Adam did when I was in hospital. My heart sunk as everything reminded me of him and all of the chaos I have caused to remember my past. Before I started to second guess myself, I smiled at everytime forcing myself to be here in the present. 

"Where's Georgie?" I asked while placing my tray onto the empty space on the bed.

She knocked on the door as she looked down at the floor, she didn't smile once as her eyes were puffy from crying. 

"Here." She said as she walked next to me and held my hand.

"Do you want to keep me company until I get better?" I asked as I watched Grant and Eagle whispering in the corner.

"Sure." She muttered.

She didn't move once so I pulled her in for a hug despite the pain. Georgie sniffled as she realised how she couldn't hug me back because of my injuries.

"Will they come back?" She asked before twirling my hair with her finger. It reminded me of Adam and how he used to do the same thing to help me sleep. My throat dried as I choked up.

I shook my head before smiling.

"We're going to go to the Fireplace. How does that sound? We can come down here when the coast is clear." I said as I cupped her cheek with my hand. For the first time, Georgie revealed her genuine smile.

"If you say so," She said, "can we eat lots of food?"

"We'll see if that can be arranged." I said before touching her cheek as her eyes lit up.

Grant raised his eyebrows before patting Georgie's head.

"Eagle and I will be downstairs, clearing the place. If y'all need anything just shout, dear." Grant said as he headed for the door.

"Before you go, do you have any doctors?" I asked.

"Doctors?" He said before raising his eyebrows.

Eagle glanced at me before looking at Grant, just as shocked as he was. Georgie looked at all of us before fiddling with her thumbs and letting go of my hand.

"For the survivors." I said.

They all looked at me before Georgie sat next to me.

"No one survived. It's just us." Eagle said shakily.

I stayed silent. This can't be happening. A whole town died because of me. My blood boiled at the thought of the Rioters and everything they have caused until I remained fixated on Hoyt. 

I was more and more determined to find out who he was and put a stop to all of this. No one else will die for me. It's either live with no one getting hurt or dying to stop the chaos.

And that was a risk that I was willing to take.