CHAPTER 56 - RUTHLESS

Adam can never find out that I know who he is. No, not over my dead body. of course not. Adam will kill me. The memory haunted me as I walked up the stairs, groggily. I thought I was just hallucinating. I liked Hoyt? I mean, I liked Adam. I liked the person who killed my father. Yes, this is exactly what I had planned.

I ran my fingers through my hair as I stared at the door. I can't believe that I trusted him. Nothing made sense. Why would he lead me to the person who saved me if he was trying to kill me? Why would he protect me from the Rioters? No- it's all a lie. He's a liar. A good one too.

Now, it all made sense in ways. That day in the hospital, the disappearances. Everything in ways. A liar and killer in the same room.

He is a liar as well as a killer. We are similar- except I never lied or hid anything from him. Not until now. He can't find out. But how will I escape him? How can I escape the one that I trusted the most? My heart pounded as I walked up the stairs.

The thing I dreaded the most was what if they already know? Are they all in on it? Does Eagle and Tracy know? If they do, why didn't they tell me? There's only one way to find out and that is to see how this goes... before escaping this madness. I made it up to the final steps and looked at the door handle.

"You don't think she found out, right?" Hannah said as I leaned forward, pressing my ear against it to hear what they were talking about.

The more and more I thought about it, the more I relasied the hints I missed. How didn't I realise, Hoyt had a tattoo on his neck that matched Adam's? Or when Adam was uncomfortable whenever anyone, especially me, mentioned or talked about Hoyt? A voice interrupted my thoughts, the same voice that used to make me feel comfortable now made me feel nothing more than sick and disgusted for what I felt.

"Dani doesn't need to know that." Adam muttered, "what's taking her so long?"

Davies laughed for a moment.

"Maybe... She's looking in your bag." He said before pushing him, "surely, she'd love to know who you really are."

What in the world? Was Davies really Hannahs and Tracy's brother? THey're all so different- personality wise. And heck, he knew my dad? Surely, my father wouldn't associate with people like him.

"She wouldn't dare. It's not what you think." Adam sneered as Hannah stifled a chuckle.

Breathing in slowly, I don't know anything. Play pretend. Just like he is. The enemy is.

"I'm sure she'd love to hear you explain one day. Does she love you?" Hannah said as I heard her crack her knuckles, "don't hurt her feelings."

Adam didn't say anything as Davies interrupted.

"Look, he wouldn't do that and Dani wouldn't feel that way. Not after she finds out."

Sighing, I waited for them to say something that would allow me to go in unnoticed.

"This conversation never happened. Dani's probably looked in my bag." Adam muttered.

I opened the door and looked at him with a fake smile. Acting was hard when I wanted to beat him up.

"Well, I'll be damned. I wouldn't do that." I said with a smile as I threw the bag at Adam before looking away.

Hannah didn't say anything as I sat down and rubbed my knuckles.

"Hannah." I said coldly as I met her eyes, "you're coming."

She raised her eyebrow at me before nodding again. Hannah already knew that but her eyes told a different story. Did she know already? Hanah came towards me and put her hand on my shoulder as if she was saying it'll be okay. But I can't trust the enemy can I? But Hannah isn't the person I can trust anymore. Julie is one of the few that I can trust. Everyone's a liar.

"Alright. Let's go. Goodbye Davies." Adam said, making my blood boil instantly and then my heart tore into a million pieces as I rubbed my eyes, trying to not cry.

They all looked at me as I cried in front of them.

Hannah and Davies left the room, giving me and Adam some space. The last thing I wanted. He touched my shoulder and I pushed him away without looking at him.

"Adam- I want to go home." I said through gritted teeth as I thought about all the chaos he caused.

Was he working with Ryan? I have too many questions and now I want answers. Adam raised his eyebrows as he smiled at me for a moment.

"Did something happen?" He asked as he ran his fingers through his hair.

Yes, you idiot. You happened- you happened to be Hoyt. But I couldn't tell him that.

I looked at his tattoo before turning away. His reputation is that tattoo. That's what all the news reporters said. And so did Julie when the mascaree happened. Skylar had the same tattoo. Why am I so dumb? No. Stop it. I wasn't stupid enough to trust him or ask him about the scarf or the pictures or even what I remembered.

"No, of course not. I just miss Georgie." I muttered, telling half a lie, "I have a feeling she's sicker."

Adam turned around as he sighed.

"If I've done something, I'm sorry. This will all be over soon, when we go to that place." He said slowly.

Does that mean he'll kill me there?

I nodded slowly as I walked outside. Davies and Hannah came out of the room and joined us. I watched Davies push Hannahs wheelchair up the hill as I opened the back door. Adam helped her get into the car as I folded the wheelchair and put it into the back of the SUV.

"Let's go, Adam." I muttered before sitting in the car.

Hannah looked at Davies before smiling for the first time.

"Bye." She said as she looked at her brother lovingly, "Brother."

Adam looked at me as I sat in the front seat. I started to hate his name just as much as I hate Hoyt.

Surely, he isn't the bad guy?It doesn't matter. He lied. He is Hoyt. That will take time to sink in.

Let's get this over and done with. I will find the person who saved me. And I'll get out of here. I'll run away. Nowhere- no place is safe anymore.