CHAPTER 44 - REVELATIONS

"She's finally asleep." Adam muttered as he got up from the bed and leaned against the wall.

I smiled when I looked at him, Georgie could sleep with less difficulty compared to before where she could barely get a wink of sleep. A slow recovery if anything. Adam looked away from me, I could smell his deodorant that he put on today got the first time in months. It didn't really matter since he always found a way to keep clean. The rest of us, however, had to use ours carefully since it was scarce. Adam had more than enough deodorant in the weaponry room. And the bar was enough to be sufficient for closed communications and temporary shelter whilst hunting for vegetables to give to the cook.

I became used to the taste of tinned food and plain water. Filing up on it meant nothing apart from losing weight in an unhealthy way. At home, we had plates full of meat but that was at home- where the riches are. Adam walked towards me and touched my cheek softly before letting go just as fast. I glanced away as I felt my heart race slightly, what am I feeling? We need to focus on Georgie, I can't let him distract me.

The midnight sky glimmered outside, making the window look nothing more than the entry to heaven or to hell. It was all up for inspection- perception of darkness. Adam didn't look at me as he took his shirt off the sofa and put it on with some difficulty. I heard him breath in heavily when he covered his head with the shirt before I walked up to him and touched his shoulder. He stopped breathing in heavily as he pulled the shirt down and smiled at me.

"Thank you." He muttered, "I didn't think it would impact me that much. Seeing darkness."

I sighed as I felt my throat dry up, he's been through a lot. Too much, maybe I can get his mind off it somehow.

"You're welcome. I've gotta ask, were you my father's bodyguard? Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, thinking about Julie's diary and what she said had happened.

What if she was lying? There would be no way that she would do that, right? Or am I trusting the wrong people again? Adam looked at me before rubbing his chin as he sat down, I sat next to me as he sighed.

"You remember your father? I'm sorry for your loss. I was his bodyguard but he didn't want you to know." He said as he looked at Eagle who was fast asleep as always.

Was he surprised that I remember my father? Was I supposed to forget him? Was I supposed to forget the fire and the way that I watched him die with my own two eyes without being able to do anything to stop it? As if. I could never allow myself to forget that ever again.

"Why?" I asked, raising my eyebrows, noticing how his burn was a lot worse than I thought.

Adam stared at the door where Georgie was asleep before scratching the back of his ear. I tapped my foot as I saw Grant stir around in his sleep.

"Well, it was his choice. He never told me why. Maybe he thought you'd tell someone." He said under his breath as I noticed how the sun's rays emerged in the room slowly.

"You were in the Upper District too." I said before frowning as I remembered what Julie had written, "with my mother."

"Did Julie tell you?" He said.

"Yes." I muttered.

"I had to go there to deliver the news and the business deal would stop until you came back- which you did, may I add, in an unexpected way. I worked in the prisons for a while and attended parties now and then." He said with a small smile, revealing his somewhat yellow stained teeth, "otherwise, I'd go to work."

"Work?" I said.

Why would Adam need another job if he's a bodyguard?

"I came here most of the time." Adam replied as he looked at Eagle again, "to see how everyone was doing. Never thought that he's Ryan's brother, you know?"

"Yeah, definitely. Did my mother know?" I said.

"Yes." He said in a low tone, making my skin grow colder and colder as the seconds passed.

"Does she know that you've taken me here?" I asked as my throat constricted.

He nodded slowly.

"Why didn't she stop us?" I asked.

"She didn't care as much as you'd think. Alex loves you in her own way." He answered.

I stood up as I faced him in the darkness, he straightened his back as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"She got me engaged to Ryan. And he led me to Hoyt so that he'd kill me. That's why I had the accident because I jumped Adam. She doesn't love me. I was pregnant with his child." I sneered as I looked at him in the eyes.

He didn't look away this time as his eyes glazed over like before. Adam moved uncomfortably when I said that as he looked at the floor before rubbing his knuckles.

"I had no idea- you lost your child. I take it back. Those conversations I had with Alex now make sense." He said as he looked at me with a pained expression, "how are you feeling about it all?" Adam said quietly as he looked at the ceiling.

My throat dried up as I sighed.

"You're the second person to ask me that but I'll tell you the truth." I muttered, "I'm losing it slowly. My mum has used everyone for her own whims and they all need money. My father died a hero, trying to help everyone at the village while the Rioters invaded again. My friends were all there because of a business deal and the only person who's giving me honesty is you, Adam. Unless you're hiding something like everyone else." I muttered as he pulled me towards him to sit back down.

"I don't think I am, but I might be for a good reason. Please wait and trust me that I'll tell you about it in due time." Adam said as he untied my hair, letting it down as he smiled.

"You're hiding something?" I asked as his face became hard to read.

Was he afraid to tell me? If so, why?

"Not exactly. I just don't want to talk to you about it right now. We're going through a lot right now. Georgie needs us not the past. We'll find the person who left the note for you." Adam said softly as he looked away, "we can't lose anymore."

"I don't want to lose but even with great profits comes greater losses and prices to pay." I said under my breath, "I can't lose any more people that I care about."

"If only you knew what we've already lost." He said softly, half-asleep.

"I think I know enough already." I muttered as I felt his arms wrap around my waist as we fell asleep.