CHAPTER 14 - DISAPPEARED

A Few Hours Later
6 hours later

"You ready?" Adam said before putting his black coat on.

I remained silent as I attempted to tie my shoelaces but each time it failed since it kept coming undone. Muttering a curse under my breath, I looked up as he knelt down and tied my laces.

"I didn't need you to- Thanks," I said before yawning, "I didn't get much sleep." 

Adam shrugged his shoulders before zipping up Georgie's jacket after she had successfully pulled it off the hook that was on the door. 

Sleeping was pretty difficult as the dogs barked every time there was a slight sound of rustling and there were no beds.

There was only a sleeping bag for the lucky ones, the rest like Georgie and the old folks had practically nothing more than their jackets and body heat.

All of this only reminded me of how I still wasn't used to this place. 

Rubbing my eyes, I noticed how the sofas were all ripped and yellow cotton was hanging out of them. It was as if the dogs had chewed it up.

I ran my fingers against the torn wallpaper which was mainly brown but had gold lines on it. Nothing matched, the brown wallpaper, the white sofas, the birch wooden floorboards (which had holes in) and the old wooden furniture that had scratches on it. Nothing. 

It only seemed that they had collected this stuff overtime, almost everything had been reused. The main one that stood out was how they used feces from animals and plastic packaging for fires to cook food. Back at home, we had enough money to turn on the stove. Now, this made it clear why this place was filled with disease.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against what they're doing here. After all, they're surviving. In fact, I believe that they could be smarter than the people who are richer than them.

The longer I stay here, the more I understand. I don't want to leave this place just yet but if I have to, I'll do everything in my power to come back. Aside from all of that, this place was familiar and with that, I was finally prepared to see Grant.

"I'm ready, let's go." I said before opening the door and pulling my hood up.

Once we arrived at the bar, I stood for a moment and looked around. The grass was a little greener and the sun finally showed itself after days. Just how will Grant lead me to the person who knows what happened to me? And how will that person explain themselves? Will I really be able to remember anything?

Shaking my head, Georgie looked at me with a face of confusion before Adam swiftly opened the door. It was as if everyone was eager to be here. 

A few old men, who were better dressed than the others played darts in the corner of the bar. The bell chimed as we entered, all eyes turned to us, the three kids stopped playing with their broken toy cars in the corner. The familiar group of people dressed in white got up from their seats from the front of the bar, leaving their long line of drinks unattended which only kept the bartender company.

The smell of alcohol overpowered my senses, I guess a pint of beer is cheaper than water here. Everyone except the bartender was extremely malnourished- their faces were shrinker and hands were so thin that their muscles could be seen as they moved. 

Adam stood still for a moment as I looked at the bartender. He had a darker tan compared to Adam and he was the only one who had a well kept beard in the bar. Grant grumbled like an old man sick of his job before standing up when he saw us approaching him. 

"What's up, my boy?" He said to Adam before rubbing his goatee which had a few grey streaks.

Adam huffed as he sat on the bar stool, Grant and I did the same. He propped his elbows onto the counter before adjusting his hat. Georgie was to short to sit on the stool, I watched her as she say on the black floorboards as if she were used to it.

"We need some help." Adam said before taking off his jacket.

I smiled at Grant for a moment before fiddling with my hands. Georgie let out a squeal as the dog from before approached her and smoldered her with kisses. Adam and I  laughed for a moment before facing Grant again- back to business.

"I was given this note." I said before sliding it to him, he looked at it before looking away at the window.

Grant pulled out a piece of paper and a pen from under his counter before meeting my eyes.

"Here's the location." He looked at Adam before nodding to the left slightly, in the direction of where somebody was sitting, "You should hurry, mate. Get to the Fireplace. I'll look after little Georgie for you." 

Georgie smiled as he picked her up and spun her around, everyone in the bar laughed and started to clap. Tucking a strand of my hair, I looked away. This place- it's much more comforting.

Adam looked at me and not once at the person who Grant pointed to. Instead, he grabbed the note, folded it in half and shoved it deep into his jeans. Looking at Grant, I muttered thanks and said bye to Georgie before getting up from my seat.

"I'll see you around." Adam said before waving him off.

Everyone smiled at us both. I slowed down slightly as I remembered the man that Grant pointed out earlier. Looking at where the person was before, I realised it was too late. They were already gone.

"Adam, we need to hurry," I said after we had walked out of the bar, "the person- they're gone."