CHAPTER 36 - TRY

CHAPTER 36 - TRY

“Not exactly.” Ryan interrupted, “I can get you in there- all of you in there.”

He got up and grabbed the map with little to no pain, I thought he was cut deep. Maybe he just has thick skin or he was faking it. 

Crossing my arms, I sat so that I was near the middle of the map as Ryan sat opposite Eagle and Tracy. 

“There's a secret passage here.” He said as he pointed at the back of the building, “we’ll split off and enter at different times without being seen.”

“Right.” I muttered before running my fingers through my tangled hair. That didn't work last time but maybe this secret passage will help.

“Let's choose the teams.” Tracy said as she stood next to Eagle.

“No one is there at noon, that’s when you’ll strike.” Ryan informed, looking at the guards.

“I’m joining Ryan.” I said, looking at the floor. 

I don’t think he’d be the one who would betray me. He doesn't have any reason to so I’ll go with him. It’ll get me closer to Adam, right? That’s all I need. Tracy and Eagle might get in the way.

“We’ll split off.” Eagle said as Tracy agreed.

“Leave your bags.” Ryan said, “You won’t need them, no one is in there at this time.”

I raised my eyebrows as I got up and looked outside at the mountain range behind the building we were supposed to invade. How far up were we? I walked out of the bunker, not wanting to listen to their conversation anymore. 

One of the guards glanced at me before saluting me, I nodded as I took his knife from his pocket with the cover and shoved it into my jeans. I did the same process to another guard and took their switchblade and tucked it into my bra. Tactics.

I thought as I chuckled for a second. Ryan walked out and stared at me while putting on one of our tracksuits. It suited him but his eyes told a different story, maybe he didn't like tracksuits. 

“Let’s go.” I said through gritted teeth, I won’t forgive him if he mentions Adam again. 

“Alright, no need to be so feisty.” He answered with a small smile, “we were married after all.”

“Almost- almost married. Drop it already.” I said as I looked at him, “we didn’t want it.”

“That’s true.” He muttered as he rubbed my shoulder, “I wasn’t able to find my brother even then.”

“Can it wait, Ryan?” I said, “we’re saving Adam not him.”

It was as if he had lost all hope in his eyes when I said those words, but it didn't matter. Yes, I was harsh. But I wasn’t evil nor will I ever be.

“Afterwards, we’ll find him. With everyone.” I said half heatedly, he's always been chasing for his brother. In all honesty, when this is all over, I want to go home and let it sink in. Not go for another life or death experience units I have to.

He let out a small smile before hugging me a little too tight for comfort, Tracy gathered up everyone and split them up into groups.

“We don’t need anyone else on our team. It’ll cause a riot.” He said, as he let me go and stood next to Tracy.

“Agreed.” I said, watching Eagle talk to his group.

“Let’s go.” Eagle said to Tracy as they split off into the forest again.

“It’s time.” Ryan muttered as we walked the opposite direction to the building, using the longer path.

---

An hour or so passed from noon, I looked around as Ryan unlocked the hatch and pulled out a box with spare keys in it. He didn’t glance at me when he opened the door and led me in before locking it.

“Before we go on, here.” Ryan said as he passed a gun to me.

“You’ll cover me,” He muttered as he looked at me in the eyes.

Ryan took a few steps towards me, I stepped backwards until my back was up against the wall. Cold. He pinned me to the wall, and glared at me.

 “Do you remember everything about me?" He asked, lifting my chin using his finger, I felt shivers down my spine as my throat became dry. 

It's just us here. And I had second thoughts about being here. If it's only us here, would he go back to how he was before? I hope not. He's changed, he said that. He'll help me but- but how is this helping? Pinning me to the wall and being this close to me suggests otherwise.

Our eyes locked, I was transfixed with his blue eyes. The more I looked into then, the more I realized how they were like the man who set my father's house on fire. The one I saw that day.

"Yes," I lied, knowing that I didn’t actually remember much or anything about him.

"Then why haven't you killed me?" Ryan said, grabbing my throat as our lips nearly touched.

I don't want this. What is he doing? I raised my eyebrows before kicking him in the stomach. He took the gun from my hands. No one can save me. I fell right into his trap. I need to get out of here somehow!

"If you knew that I was the one who betrayed you and made you jump off the motorway this whole time, why didn't you kill me? If you knew I was with Hoyt this whole time, why?" He sneered as he let go of me and staggered backwards.

“You were planning this from the start. No wonder Adam didn’t like talking to you. Where did you send the others? And where is Adam? Tell me! You-” 

No one can save me. I fell right into his trap. Tracy and Eagle were sent somewhere else, weren't they? How will they find me? And where is Adam? Why am I such a fool?

“You’ll find out soon enough.” He said as he swung his gun at the back of my head, knocking me out cold.