CHAPTER 6 - THE TRUTH UNTOLD

A Few Minutes Later
180 seconds later

"Julie!" I shouted before I watched her silhouette fade away while attempting to chase after her.

What have I done? Would have things ended this way if I didn't ask her? Probably not. Great- it's all my fault. She wouldn't have ran away if I didn't ask. But… She did say that she would do anything to make me remember, for me to ask such a question probably wasn't a good idea. Especially since she was unprepared for me to remember it that quickly. Maybe therapy is allowing me to remember more memories sooner. Urgh, I hate Doctor Franc though. Doesn't everyone?

I saw Adam walk up to me, he furrowed his brow in confusion as he looked at me and where Julie once was. 

As I was walking out of the door, I instinctively placed my hands on Adams chest before looking up at him.

"Don't you wanna go after her?" He asked, "I think you should, Julie needs you right now."

"I will and as lovely as it is to see you, I've gotta go." I said before pulling away from him. Adam wished me luck under his breath before watching me rush in the direction that Julie went. I waved Adam off as I continued my new mission. The image of him waving back was in my mind before I shook my head and decided to focus.

As I paced towards where I last saw Julie, I noticed two doors- one led to the other side of the garden and the other in some kind of basement downstairs. I used the few moments I had left before I had lost track of where Julie is to decide which door to go through. Her artwork on the canvas was of a dark and gloomy prison cell with a small window which showed nothing but the vast sky and a plant next to it in the corner. Even the painting didn't help. 

Instead, this time, I had to use my intuition. The garden would allow you to breathe and relax, the basement would lock you in. Julie was running out of the room to escape so it wouldn't make sense for her to go into another room, maybe that's what she wanted. Confusion.

Closing my eyes, I breathed in deeply before taking a few steps towards the garden door handle to open the door. The breeze instantly hit my face, I was reminded of the time I spent on the beach with Julie, my mom and some other foriegn faces.

"Hey, Dani! Get over here!" Julie called as she sat on the sand with an umbrella and cute sunglasses on. 

Smiling, I headed towards her, feeling the sand in between my toes. I wish I wore sandals. 

"Coming!" I replied before running up to Julie and her mom (who had wrinkles on her face and a few unnoticeable scars and burns if you had mereley glanced at her).

My mum emerged from the car boot as she pulled out a Polaroid from her grandmother as we huddled together in a group, posing in the silliest yet authentic way possible while laughing at each others awful tans. She adjusted the Polaroid on the stand before pressing the countdown button, mum rushed up to join us as we all said "Greens!" As a special motto for our 'group'.

The camera flashed and a few moments later Julie stole my hat before heading towards the camera and pulling out the photo.

"Perfect! It's perfect!" Julie exclaimed excitedly as if she was ready to start a new piece of artwork.

"Julie!" I said as I snapped out of my trance.

Looking around, I stepped outside to see her sitting in the corner of the white wooden bench outside. Now, it wasn't a normal bench, it had an arc overhead made of wood as well as floral patterns and swirls on either side. A bit like a swing, chair, bench and garden fence in one.

Julie sat on the bench, her hands wiping her tears and her knees propped up to cover her face.

My heart ached as I watched her for a moment before I shut the door, her eyes met mine as she looked away in an instant like a frightened deer. I approached her as I sat down quietly, not saying a word as I thought of what to say.

"I'm sorry." We both said at the same time.

I smiled before Julie laughed with her scratchy voice from crying. Getting up, I looked around for the same flower that was in her artwork before returning with a daisy in my hand.

"You sound like a dying cat." I muttered before giving her some tissue and the daisy.

"I'm glad to hear it." She said before laughing wholeheartedly as a sad smile appeared on her face.

"We'll never be the same people again after you regain your memories, you know that right?" Julie asked as she fiddled with her thumbs and then rubbed her knuckles till they turned red, a similar shade to her eyes.

I nodded before sighing.

"I know, I know. That won't stop me from being there for you. That's what friends are for." I replied hesitantly since I was saying the same things I used to before I lost my memories. 

Julie looked at me, her eyes were glistening with hope as she got up and grabbed ahold of my hands which were still wrapped in bandages.

"I've decided! I want you to remember." She said before continuing, "Have you remembered anything?" 

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked at her before smiling.

"Yep, the beach and when you stole my hat." I said before crossing my arms, "I want it back." 

Julie giggled like a child as she raised her hands up in defense.

"I gave it back!" 

I smiled as I sat down again. I hope that she isn't lying otherwise there will be hell to pay. It was my favorite hat, I tell you! Even though I don't think it matters. After all, I didn't remember.

"Your mum was there too." I muttered.

"You've forgotten the most important thing though, Dani." Julie said boldly as tears formed in her eyes, my throat constricted as I looked at her. 

Wait- what? Please don't tell me, a part of me said. The other was fighting it's way- a numbed feeling came over me as I realised how stupid I was.

Julie's eyes met mine before she bursted into tears as she hugged me tightly.

"My mother's dead."