CHAPTER 55 - UNVIELED

Davies sat on his chair, intensely staring at the note I gave him earlier as it rested on the table. I looked around as I fiddled with my fingers, leaning against the wall as Adam stood next to him.

"Well?" Hannah said as she sat down on the wheelchair before moving towards the bed.

Was she used to being in a wheelchair? I watched her as she pushed the wheels with ease as she looked at me for a moment.

The sound of Davies muttering under his breath echoed in the room before Adam tapped his foot as usual.

"So, if I'm right, these are coordinates. I'll see where they wanted to meet you." Davies answered as he started typing away on his keyboard before adjusting his glasses.

I walked towards Davies and snatched the note from his table. He looked up at me as Adam tried to stop me.

"Where is it? The thing that Adam was asking for..." I said, remembering how Adam asked Hannah the same question.

This isn't just about the note is it? Something else is going on, just what is it? Drugs?

Hannah and Davies looked at each other before Adam walked towards me and grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Look, this-" Adam muttered.

Hannah coughed dramatically before interrupting.

"He wanted to get his bag. Maybe you can help us find it." She said before glaring at Adam.

Why was Adam nervous? If he wanted to find his bag, why didn't he tell me sooner? I nodded as I left the room, we split off into different directions as we tried to find it. Shouldn't he know where his bag is?

My footsteps echoed in my ears as I heard the click of the door closing, leaving me face to face to a staircase underground. As I stepped down the concrete steps, I grabbed my shoulder as I leaned against the wall while looking at the lights that were on the walls, as if they were lanterns guiding me to the place I needed to be.

Was the prison like this? Of course it was.

It was as if my heart was thumping in my chest while I looked at the lights that started to flicker. I was afraid of the dark, there's no way they'll hear me down here if I ask or call out for help. Either way, I continued on going down the steps. I muttered under my breath as I traced my fingers against the cold wall before opening the door that was in front of me. Just how many doors are there here? The door shut before I could wedge something in between it to stop it from locking myself in here.

I felt my throat dry up as my stomach flipped. Something is wrong. I can feel it. But what is it? I turned around to open the door and failed in the process. I tried again and it opened, I let out a sigh of relief before pulling a face as it shut on me again.

The lights automatically turned on as I headed for the bed that was here.

On the side of it, the bag was there. Finally! Now I can get out of here. I felt a cold chill down my spine, as I felt the urge to open the bag, peer into it and see what was in there. Surely, it won't hurt anyone.

I breathed in slowly as I sat on the bed, unzipping the bag and looking inside. What on earth was in here? Grabbing the bag from the bottom, I poured out all of its contents before getting up and looking at it carefully. Why was I doing this? I trust Adam. Maybe there is something about his family here. Anything, just anything new that I could learn about him.

Without a care in the world, I felt my heart race as I rummaged through the contents of it on the bed before being face to face with the scarf that Hannah showed me. I raised my eyebrow as I put it on my neck. Why does this feel so familiar? I smiled for a moment to myself until I noticed the writing on the scarf and froze. My heart dropped as I felt everything that I knew shatter within seconds as I remembered something that I shouldn't have. Images of the day I had my accident ran through my mind.

Before everything was pitch black, a silhouette appeared from a distance. Adrenaline kicked in as my mind begged to run. But I was tired of running. So, I helplessly watched it walk towards me, flashlight in their hand. Was that Ryan? It has to be.

"Ryan?" I shouted as I shivered, feeling a gust of wind hitting my face.

It was as if all of my senses had been enhanced, I could hear someone else. Even if it meant danger, I could still hear somebody else apart from me. Three months of being alone since I had run away left me in despair, to say the least. It had been three long months to get here. And also, in complete isolation. It did not take too long for me to pick out the 'silhouettes' facial features.

What stood out the most was the burn on his face, which I had noticed after the wind blew against the scarf he was wearing. He looked at me intensely with his brown eyes as he kneeled down, making sure that I would not attack him.

For what happened now was something that I couldn't control, I reached out for his scarf with my shaking hands, pulled it away from him and clung onto it tight. This man wasn't Ryan. No, he was someone else. But no one knew about this place or wanted to come here. So, why is this man here now?

I noticed that his black, buzz cut hair which was close to him shaving his hair off completely but not at the same time.

"He didn't tell you, did he?" The man said with a small grin as he pointed at the scarf, "It's alright, you can keep it." He said as he aimed the flashlight at the scarf which had his name engraved on it.

I could finally read the first name as the flashlight started to flicker.

Adam Hoyt.

I pulled off a scarf from under the bed and I held it in my hand before falling to the floor. It was the exact one I saw when I had the car accident. Nothing made sense. Adam was Hoyt? He even grew out his hair so I wouldn't realise.

I breathed in heavily as I frantically put everything back into the bag and zipped it before flinging it onto my shoulder and feeling the pain shoot through me. My stomach churned as I couldn't get the image out of my mind.

The scarf read Adam Hoyt. He lied to me. And I didn't even realise.

They've betrayed me. 

All of them.