CHAPTER 3 - REDISCOVERY OF STRENGTH

A Month Later
31 days later

Ever since that day, Adam never came back. Maybe he was waiting for me to ask where he was or for something else. To be honest, I don't blame him. After all, his 'friend' doesn't remember a thing about her past or anything about the people she once knew.

The doctor entered my room I looked up, I realised that he was carrying around a clipboard again as he walked towards me.

"Hey Doc, where's Adam?" I asked him in the smallest voice I could muster.

Ever since the Adam left, the doctor has been acting strange, it's as if he does not want me here anymore but doesn't want to show it. I wonder why. Maybe he's jealous of Adams good looks even at 25 or I'm misinterpreting his intentions.

He looked at me and then around him to see if the other nurses were there. He stood near my bed as he immersed himself with words on his clipboard.

"Adam is visiting today with someone else and he's going to bring your clothes." He said while looking at me, "You'll be able to leave soon. Are you ready to do so?"

Glancing at him, I frowned.

"Of course I am, Doc." I answered knowing that he might try and keep me here for longer, "I'm ready to face the world as it is."

The doctor froze as he saw someone standing at the door,I could hear their footsteps echoed in my ears before they leaned against the doorframe.

I looked up as I heard them say.

"I'm glad." They said as they emerged from the shadows.

"Adam, please hear me out. This girl isn't stable, you know what she did." The doctor said as he dropped his clipboard and walked towards him, "What if it happens again?" He asked while raising his hands up in defense or to reach out to Adam.

Adam knocked his hands away before grabbing my hand in a rush, I felt the cuts reopen as he pulled me towards him.

"She doesn't remember anything, Doc. And I don't care if she's stable or not, I want her to stay with me, not with a psychopath." He said looking at me, "I also made a promise which I'm planning on keeping. She's got her family waiting for her. So if you don't mind, I'm taking her with me."

The doctor looked at him as if he had been hit in the face,if looks could kill, I'd be dead. I watched his face turned red as he sat down, adjusting his glasses again.

"Where's Alex then?" Doc asked before grabbing his clipboard, ignoring what Adam had said and continued to scribble away on the clipboard, probably to regain his composure.

Adam glanced at him and then his eyes were set on me. Looking at the door, I saw a woman in her mid-forties,a few grey streaks of hair were present with signs of prolonged stress lines and wrinkles. My heart ached as I looked at the woman, Alex, and my instincts kicked in and before I knew it, I rushed up to hug the woman I no longer knew.

She smiled but her eyes told a different story - full of sadness and pain.

"It's as if you haven't forgot who I am." Alex said as Adam walked up to her.

"I'm really sorry, I don't know who you are..." I muttered, "I'm sick and tired of saying this. I just felt like I should hug you, I'm sorry if I'm causing you more pain."

She looked at me for a while as tears formed in her eyes, she turned away to wipe it off with a hankercheif in her pocket before looking at me again.

"You're my daughter, you'll never cause me pain. I'm glad that you're alive." She said with a small smile before pulling me into a hug.

My heart ached, it felt as if someone had shot it or that it had collapsed on itself. It all reminded me of how I want to remember my past. Remember myself and everyone that I held dear. The promise I made to Adam, won't go to waste. I looked at Adam soon noticing how dark and gloomy the atmosphere had become, no one was saying anything, all I could hear was the sound of paper rustling and the breeze coming from the window.

"Please." I muttered as everyone attention turned to me (including the doctors), "I'll do whatever I can to remember. But please, please don't hate me and please just -" I choked out the last few words as Adam gave me a look of pity, "Please be patient with me."

After I had said it all, I didn't realise that I was crying again. I promised myself not to cry infront of everyone and do it behind closed doors. But right now, I couldn't help it. As soon as I broke down, a voice from my past resonated in my mind- an old memory.

'Everyone has their breakdowns, it's like we're all time bombs waiting to explode. It's worse if we bottle it up.'

Someone said that to me once. As I tried to remember the memory, I couldn't see their face. I can only hear their voice.

Forgetting that I couldn't put a lot of stress onto my mind, I realised how my head began to pound.

Grabbing ahold of my head, I heard the voices of the room merge together as I fell to the floor, I saw all of their panicked faces and the way how Adam rushed up to me before the everything faded to black.