CHAPTER 52 - LONG HAUL

"What is wrong with you? Drop the gun." Hannah said as she raised his eyebrows at him, trying to get the bookshelf off her knees.

Adam didn't move as he looked at the man with his hands raised, my heart raced as I looked at them both before standing in front of Adam. The man raised his eyebrows as he lowered his gun slowly.

"How did the window smash?" He asked as I walked towards him. Hannah stared at me as Adam tried to pull me back.

The man raised his eyebrows as he pointed the gun at me.

"This is your doing, isn't it?" He sneered as Hannah looked at me.

"Don't even think about it." I muttered, "where have you taken the doctor? Rioters coming for us. Surely, you knew that." I said as I noticed he cursed under his breath.

"Good. They'll get rid of you and finish the job." He sneered.

Someone slammed the door shut as the sound of multiple footsteps echoed in the halls.

Hannah stiffened as she looked at me, when our eyes met, she looked away. Was she disgusted with herself? Either way, she'll realise what she was supporting eventually- unless she knew what she was standing up for. Who knows?

I rushed towards him as I knocked the gun out of his hand. He pulled out a knife and cut my arm and before I could respond, Adam pushed me onto the floor. The man shouted as Adam pushed him onto the floor too. He grabbed his gun and pulled the trigger after Adam had kicked it away from his hand, sending the bullet into the wall.

"Find them." One of them said as they split off into different directions.

Getting up, I kicked him in the face, knocking him out cold.

Frantically, Adam and I helped Hannah up as she sneered in pain before drinking some alcohol that was on the side of the door.

"Check everywhere for them. Hannah better have an explanation for taking them in." Another voice said before coughing.

"The doctor took everything, he's a good guy. I know he is." Hannah muttered under her breath, "that bastard." she continued as she clenched her fist when she laid eyes on the man that was on the floor.

"You trusted him?" I said as I looked at Hannah while lifting the bookshelf from her legs,

"Shut up, you. I don't need your pity." She sneered as she looked at Adam.

"This better not be a trap, Hannah." Adam muttered while pulling the man's legs and taking the bookshelf out of my hands and slamming it onto the man's stomach. The sound of his ribs crushing could be heard as I winced, "and if you expect me to help you, don't talk to Dani like that. You were friends once."

Adam looked at me before turning to face Hannah.

"Fine." Hannah said as she threw the whiskey bottle towards the staircase as a lousy distraction.

They might find us. How on earth will we get out of here? My heart raced as I glanced at each corner, nook and cranny for any signs of Rioters to find none. Maybe it was nothing.

We crept past the staircase and headed for the basement door as I sighed before pushing the door open. Adam glanced at Hannah as we closed the door, I saw the glimpse of a man in all black before turning around to face the darkness.

My stomach churned as I saw the man look in our direction, the sound of the door shutting with a click rang in my ears as I felt adrenaline rush into my veins. Just how were we going to get out of this mess?

"It's a man." I said.

Adam turned his head and didn't say a word while Hannah started shaking.

"Oh no." Hannah muttered as she turned on the light, "that's Ryan."

"Let's get out of here." I said as I looked at the floor for a moment.

Ryan walked towards the door before knocking it down

"I know you're in here." He shouted as we went around the corner and put Hannah down, leaning against a box for cover.

Adam and I split off either side of the room, as Ryan waved his flashlight around while holding onto a walking stick. Looks like that bullet caused a lot more damage than we thought. I smiled for a moment before grabbing the crowbar from the wall and standing up to face Ryan.

"Well, well." I muttered, "looks like that did some damage."

He raised his eyebrows at me before Hannah whimpered in the background.

Adam pulled Ryan back as he dropped the walking stick and Ryan fired his gun in my direction.

"Where is she?" He shouted as he waved his hands around, "Hoyt would love to see her."

Adam stiffened for a moment as Ryan looked up at him before grinning and muttering something for only him to hear. I felt the bullet pierce my shoulder as I shouted in pain. A hot sensation came over me, it was more intense than being in that fire or being stabbed.

Adam turned around to face me for a moment before tightening his grip on Ryan's neck.

"Where's the doctor?" He said.

"I'm not telling you." Ryan answered.

"Then you'll never find your brother... Max." I said before smirking at him, "he surely won't survive much longer when we go back to him..."

Ryans eyes glazed over for a moment before meeting my gaze.

"Westward. Don't you dare do anything to Max, I'll kill you all." He said as I took the bullets from his gun and stuffed it in my pocket.

I walked up to Ryan and knelt next to him before grabbing his walking stick and pressing it against his throat.

"I don't want to kill you." I muttered as I watched him close his eyes.

My stomach churned at the thought of murder. Not long after, I relived the moments of the fire and how he killed my father and pressed harder onto the stick until the voice in my head warned me not to. I'm killing family. I won't be any better than him.

"You don't have to." Adam said as he pulled me away from him by grabbing my arm, my heart raced as he hugged me for a moment before letting go of me just as fast.

He checked Ryan's pulse before walking to the back of the room to Hannah.

"Let's get the hell out of here." Adam muttered as we picked up Hannah and opened the other basement door, finally being able to see properly instead of relying on Ryan's torch that flickered every couple of seconds.

When we walked outside of the house, I looked at the rose bushes that were there and the car that was near the driveway. We headed for the car and unlocked it using Hannah's key and put her in the backseat of the SUV. Adam sat in the driver's seat as I sat in the front seat, next to him, looking around for anything suspicious.

Not long after, I turned around to see the Rioters leave the house with gasoline in their hands. Hannah's eyes widened as she tried to stop herself from crying.

"My house," Hannah muttered as she rubbed her eyes before sighing, "It's gone. Wait no! Daniel's still in there!"

The Ritors faced us as I turned on the ignition before we saw them set the house on fire with Daniel in it.

"Now you know how I felt when I watched my father die because of them." I muttered as Hannah turned around to face me.

"No- they didn't, right?" Hannah said as she tapped her fingers against the window.

"Oh they did." Adam said as he crossed his arms, "there's a lot you don't know."

"I want to know what I've been supporting." She muttered as she stopped crying and looked at me for a moment, "I wonder why they wanted to kill your father."

"You will- just not now. We need to get to the doctor... I need some answers." I said as Adam drove off.