CHAPTER 41 - SECRETS

Once the medics finally left for their break, Adam and I were alone in the room. Tracy and Eagle were in the training room talking to the gang mates and praising them for their hard work. Since the majority of them were here guarding the Fireplace and some of them protected us from the Rioters ambush.

Even though I'm sure that we would rather have a good rest as a reward for our hard work, we're not finished just yet. There's more things that we still have to do out there so that I can go back home. So that I can find my saviour. I don't need memories, they should be able to fill me with everything, right?

Stay away from the Rioters and go to that location where my saviour should be. I didn't know what to think. This was all for myself, isn't it? I saved Adam with everyone else. Will I be venturing out there on my own? I don't want to take the whole gang with me. That's too risky. Either way, everything is a risk. Is it one that I'm willing to take? Hopefully. This is my own goal, others shouldn't be put into this mess with me. They'll happily join me to the grave and that's not what I want or need.

The chef on our team was out of sight with her accomplice, trying to get more vegetables from the vacant fields that surrounded us. I sighed as I thought about the chef making somewhat healthier foods for everyone, especially Georgie, she's only eight and she's been through all of this. Over these past few days, I'm sure that she was fed well and probably had the best meal in her life.

If only there was a way to make her have better food out here. I guess our chef is the best bet. Unless, I venture to my mother which probably won't end well since I never had time alone with her. Whenever I saw her, she was with someone else and that made me feel relieved. I didn't want to see her true colours straight away otherwise I would have done something I regret.

"You're back- I have so much to tell you!" Georgie said, her face glowed up at the sound of my voice as she ran into the room.

I smiled as she leapt in my arms, hugging me before I could properly sit up. I winced at the tightness of her embrace as Adam looked at me, holding his own hands for comfort as he turned away at the sound of me in pain and closed his eyes. Georgie looked up at me and stopped hugging me when she saw Adam's eyes were still closed as he pulled a face. .

"Sorry." Georgie muttered as she tucked a strand of her hair that was once blond but was dyed a hazelnut colour with hints of red in the roots.

"Don't be. I missed you too." I said before smiling and touching her cheek, "It's been a long time."

Adam opened his eyes when I spoke and sighed when he saw Georgie. Even though he got somewhat angry at her for almost breaking a phone, I saw the love he had for Georgie. It was in his eyes. I wonder how he looked at everyone else he cared about or loved. How different did he look at them and at other people? What am I to Adam? How does he see me?

Georgies eyes were fixated on Adams injuries, especially the new tattoo on his neck and the cuts on his arm. She then looked at my shirt, noticing the red stains as my blood seeped through it.

"Why are you both like this?" She said, looking away as she pressed her lips together in a thin line in concern.

"It was the Rioters, that's all. Dani played hero." Adam said with a grin as he moved uncomfortably in my bed.

"You did?" Georgie asked as her eyes glimmered.

I nodded before pointing at my bag.

"Do you want to read Julie's diary? I heard that you can read properly now."

With the turmoil of how hectic everything has been recently, I was unable to read Julies diary as much. The last time I read it was in the shelter that Ryan took us to the day before he turned on us.

"Sure!" She said as she pulled out her diary from my ripped backpack.

I looked at Adam as he stuck out his tongue and grinned at me. This man, I swear. Our eyes met and it was as if we couldn't look anywhere else. That it was just us in the room. I coughed and remembered Georgie was next to me.

Looking away, I watched Georgie open the diary and flick through a few pages until a piece of paper fell on the floor. We looked at each other until she picked it up and sat beside me as she shuffled slightly, giving enough room for Adam's legs on the bed.

"It's a letter." Georgie muttered, "To Max."

"Max?" I said before running my hand through her hair carefully, "Can you read it to me?"

"I couldn't help but wonder, where did you go after the last time we met? You haven't been at the graveyard recently. Or at all. Was it because of what I said? Or because the guards found me out here and you had to hide? Or was it something else?

I want to see you again. Cliche I know. You're the only person who I can really trust. Why did you have to go? For all I know you could be dead- I don't even want to think about it. So, if I ever get the chance to, I'll leave this at the graveyard in hopes of your reply. Thank you for everything, Julie."

"Who's Max?" I muttered as Eagle walked in.

I sat there while rubbing my knuckles that were stained purple as memories rushed into my mind. Just who was Max? I thought I wrote it in my journal at one point but when?

"You are?" I asked as he gazed at me.

"Eh, I'm Max. Everyone here calls me Eagle." He said while tucking a strand of his brown hair behind his ear.

"I'm Danielle." I replied.

He studied me before taking off his shades to reveal the yellow contact lenses he was wearing before his eyes sparked up.

"It's a pleasure meeting you." I muttered under my breath as I looked at him.

I never looked back at the links these events had. Julie knew Eagle- I mean Max.

"Wait... It's you!" I said as I pointed at Eagle, he raised his eyebrows and laughed. He stopped himself after a while and grinned at me.

"What's wrong? You knew I was Max." He said as he showed his contact lenses in his bag.

"What?" I said as I coughed, "I forgot you wore them!"

Georgie giggled as she jumped off from the bed as Adam muttered under his breath in his sleep.

"You good? Remember? I said my actual name was Max right when we met." Eagle said.

"You're the one he was looking for this whole time!" I shouted at first until my waist started hurting again, realising that I could injure myself more as I watched Adam move around in his sleep, "How didn't I realise this?"

"Stop, slow down. What are you on about?" He muttered as he raised his hands in defence.

"You're Ryan's brother! He's trying to find you. Why didn't you tell us before? And you met Julie?" I said.

"He's lying. It's not what you think- I'll explain." Eagle said before sitting on the floor with his hands covering his face.