Romanogers 20

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone! All your support, comments and votes really make my day💕

Based on:
"When you went down I thought you were dead because of me"

"I'm right here"
- CW's The 100 season 2 ep 8
—————————————————————

Steve's POV

"Hey Nat"
I smiled gingerly standing in the entrance way to the empty room she was sitting in. She returned the smile, though more exhausted. I couldn't blame her. She'd just been shot a half hour ago.
As soon as that gunshot went off I almost crumbled. I saw Natasha go down behind a car and didn't see her get up. I could feel my heart almost pound out of my chest while I stood frozen. Hot angry tears threatened to spill down my face but I had to hold them back.
I'd been working with Natasha for two years now. She was cold and emotionless on the outside, but with me and the team Natasha was funny, kind, compassionate, well except when we pissed her off- and by 'we' I mean Tony. I considered myself lucky to be the only other person besides Barton she actually trusted. Now that he spent most of his time at the farm, she confided in me more than anyone.
A flutter would spread in my stomach wherever she was around me. When her head would fall onto my shoulder after a movie or a long flight I made sure to stay still as to not wake her. Sometimes if I was sure she was out I would run my fingers through her red locks. After missions we'd patch each other up instead of heading to medical. Reading had become one of my hobbies since waking up in the ice and Natasha has taken a notice. Every once in a while I'd find a new book wrapped to perfection on my bed. So when she got shot my world crumbled.
Finding out she was alive seconds later made a tidal wave of relief was over me but she was continuously loosing blood. In the truck after Rumlow caught us I could tell she was fighting the urge to pass out. Her words were slurred while she spoke to us while her head was resting on the back of the seat, eyes closed and face contorted in pain. The way her shoulder slumped and hand hung loosely in the cuffs led me to assume her arm was entirely immobile. Luckily, Hill got us out. Normally Natasha didn't need help but the force to which she leaned on me didn't help my worry. She was then patched up and finally I could take a deep calm breath. Up until then I hadn't even realized how tense I was.

"You feeling okay?"
I asked sitting down next to her

"Yeah. Thanks to you"
Thanks to me, yeah right. I'm the reason she was here in the first place. I should have told her I'd do this alone.

"Steve? What's on your mind?"
She must have noticed me in thought. I waved my hand trying to deter her away from the subject. Green eyes were then piercing mine intensely, and without saying a thing she was prying words from my mouth. No wonder she was so persuasive.

"I just...you almost died"

"Come on Steve this is nothing"

"It is to me. When you went down I thought you were dead because of me"
It was small, but my voice cracked. Natasha's eyes softened and suddenly I felt her delicate hand lock fingers with mine

"I'm right here"

"Nat I don't know what I would have done if you died"
Her face fell

"We all know the risks Steve"
Her gentle words were now stern and fact-like

"Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Think it's okay to risk your life all the time"
Her hand pulled out of mine quickly

"I'm a SHIELD agent it comes with the job"

"You seem to care less than most wether you're KIA"
She avoided my eye
"Natasha you have no idea how valuable your life is"

"Old habits die hard I guess"
It came out as a whisper

"Red Room?"
Her chair pushed back as she stood up clearly trying to avoid the topic. As she did her arm knocked against the table making her wince. I stood up to assist but she held up a hand to stop me

"Natasha let me help"
Hesitantly she nodded after a few seconds. Her jacked slipped off leaving her in her bloody tank top showing her large now blood stained bandage

"I don't think you pulled your stitches"
A nod

"I'm sorry for bringing up-"

"It's fine"
When I placed a hand on her shoulder I was amazed she didn't pull away considering her sudden withdraw from our conversation. With my thumb I massaged her undoubtedly sore arm. She sighed pleasantly and closed her eyes. I guided her to sit down again.

"What I said was true Nat. If you died out there..."

"Hey I'm not that easy to get rid of"
I chuckled, we both did. Slowly our laugh subsided until we were just staring at each other. I missed moments like this with her. When it was just us. My hand rested nicely against her cheek, she leaned into my touch. Natasha's breath hitched when I began to lean in. I gave her every opportunity to move away and she didn't. Lightly, as if testing the waters, I touched my lips to hers. She had a blank expression.

"Uh sorry I-"
She silenced me with another chaste kiss. Natasha giggled at my deep blush

"For the record I'm glad you came in when you did. He would have killed me"

"I wouldn't have let him"