Pre-Prom

**Zack's P.O.V.**

"Get a room!" I snicker.

Carly turns red while my brother glares at me for interrupting them. I stick my tongue out at him and he picks up a pillow throwing it at me, but I close his door before it can hit me.

Josh found Carly two days ago, and they're basically inseparable. They've been hanging out ever since, with today being over at our house. I forgot Carly was over today and accidentally went into his room to find them making out, a sight that I'd rather not see.

My phone vibrates and I check it to find a text from Emily. I sigh and automatically delete it, not bothering to even read it. I'm not going to be stupid like last time and fall for her tricks again. Ari means a lot to me and I won't risk ruining our relationship because my ex tricked me into something.

Speaking of Ari, she's been telling me about her college plans and we don't have the same colleges that we've picked to apply to. I don't want to seem clingy, but I was hoping she would be going to college with me. I don't want us to have a long-distance relationship or, even worse, break up after high school. This is more to me than just some silly high school relationship, I want to spend the rest of my life with Ari. I know we're young and we've made a lot of mistakes in our relationship so far, but we've gotten through everything together and I know I want to be with her for a long time, preferably forever.

Now I just have to convince her to come to the same college as me. I know her family isn't as rich as mine, or she wouldn't be working as our maid, but I'll pay for her if that's what it takes. I'll do anything for us to be together, even in college. I'm not doubting that our relationship won't last long-distance, but I don't want any distance between us. Plus I know how college boys are. I don't want some guy to snatch up Ari and take advantage of the fact that we're on separate sides of the country. I know Ari loves me, but you never know what loneliness does to some people and I'd rather not risk that.

School is almost over. The only thing we have to look forward to is prom and graduation before we're finally done. I can't wait for prom because I'm going with Ari. I was going to ask her publicly, but I know how she hates it when I do that and decided not to 'embarrass' her for once, so I took her out to a nice restaurant and just asked her to which she said yes. Prom is next week and I still haven't gotten my tux yet. Ari wanted me to go dress shopping with her, but thankfully Lexi and Tori would be going with her instead of me. I love my girlfriend, but I don't want to be in the mall for hours searching for the 'perfect' dress.

Usually the guys and I go tux shopping together, but I'm not sure if Luke is coming this year. We still haven't really made up yet. Vanessa and him are still not together. Although Vanessa has forgiven me, being that nobody would've known about this if it weren't Emily, Luke is still upset that I didn't tell him the truth. I don't think it's fair of him to make me choose between family and friends because family always comes first. Vanessa has still been talking to that guy, Jace I think his name is, and Luke is too stubborn to make things right with Vanessa. He better hurry up before Jace ends up winning Vanessa's heart instead of him.

My phone rings to which I answer a call from Ari to find her crying on the line.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" I ask alarmed.

"M-my mom s-she's in the hospital," she whimpers.

"I'm on my way," I say with all thoughts of prom and college flying out of my thoughts.

I quickly get in my car, driving at a speed that would probably have me pulled over if there was police near by, arriving at the hospital about ten minutes later. I rush inside immediately going to the information desk.

"Did a woman come in here recently?"

"Lots of women come in here, you're going to need to be more specific than that sweetheart," she replies chewing her gum loudly while giving me a flirty look. Ew.

"She had a daughter named Ari come in for her. She's um about 5'6 with long blonde hair."

"Yeah, matter of fact she did," she says looking something up on her computer, "She's on the second floor room 205."

"Thanks," I reply quickly rushing away before she asks for my number or something.

I press the elevator button that'll take me to the second floor, impatiently waiting as it opens. When it finally does a nurse comes out rolling a cart and normally I would help her, but I just don't have time right now. I wait until she rolls it out, before getting into the elevator. I press the number '2' button as the doors close, with that annoying elevator jingle playing. I'll never understand why they have that. The elevator door opens and I quickly walk towards the correct room. As soon as I walk in I find Ari sitting next to her mother, holding her hand, as she silently cries.

"Ari?" I ask hesitantly, not wanting to intrude.

She stands up, quickly walking over, and gives me a hug. I gently rub her back as she cries into my chest.

"What happened?"

"H-her employees said that she fainted and h-hit her head on a table. S-she got a concussion from that and the doctors said that she fainted because of exhaustion. S-she hasn't been g-getting enough sleep."

I silently let out a relieved breath. I thought it would be something more serious, but thankfully her mom would be alright.

"Everything is going to be fine," I reassure her.

She nods as the tears silently run down her face. I don't have time to be thinking about anything else except being here for Ari.

****

Ari's mother was released from the hospital a day later with advice to get more sleep. Ari was busy making sure her mother got enough sleep and taking care of her, with me busy hanging out with Josh (when he wasn't with Carly) as well what my mother called 'bonding' with her and Payton.

Prom was in a few days and I still haven't bought a tux. Nick and I would be going to the mall in a little bit to buy them. Ari had gone yesterday with Lexi, Tori, and Vanessa. She had called me last night telling me the color of her dress, which was red, so I could buy a tie that matched with her dress.

Get your ass outside, I'm here!

I read the text from Nick, quickly make my way downstairs and out the door towards his car, getting in the passenger seat.

"I wish Luke was coming," I sigh.

"Uh," Nick says awkwardly, gesturing to the backseat with Luke sitting there looking amused.

"Oh," I say slightly embarrassed. We don't talk all mushy like that, it's just not something we do.

"Glad to know you miss me," Luke teases, slightly making me blush.

"I- I don't. I was just... Forget it," I finally say utterly at a loss for words.

Luke laughs, "I missed you too."

Nick just laughs, causing me to scowl, as he takes the car out of park and starts driving.

"You guys are too cute," Nick says snickering making me scowl again.

"Shut up," Luke and I say simultaneously.

"Aw, you guys are even telling me to shut up together," Nick coos, falling silent as he sees the glares that both Luke and I are throwing at him.

"S-so uh, are we cool?" I ask Luke hesitantly.

"You were a douche for not telling me," he starts, "But yeah, we're cool," he says giving me a small smile.

I smile back, relieved that we're finally alright again. We've been friends ever since we were kids, that's something I didn't want to lose.

"Now that you idiots finally made up, let's find our tuxes!" Nick says cheerfully.

I roll my eyes, but head towards the mall to get this over with. I hate shopping.