I Maid Her Cry

**Zack's P.O.V.**

"I'm going to move on from you Zack and I suggest you do the same."

No. She didn't mean that.

Did she?

I haven't left my room since yesterday. I went to school hoping to fix things with Ari but she didn't show up. She hasn't even shown up for work either. She must be really upset in order to miss her job.

She's upset because of you.

Ugh, don't you think I know that? I fucked up. I will fix it though. I don't know how, but I will fix it.

Until then I wanted to stay here and sulk but my cousin is forcing me to go out tonight.

Family. The people you have to love no matter how much you might not want to.

But this is my cousin Vanessa. The one who I always hung out with as a kid. The two of us were inseparable, we did everything together. But then she had to move, only leaving behind good memories. She's also going through a break up just like me.

Ari was never yours to begin with.

I really don't like these thoughts in my head.

I get up and start getting dressed, my cousin will be here any minute. I dress quickly and go downstairs.

"You ready Vanessa?"

"Yup, let's go!"

She seems way to cheery for someone who just got out of a serious relationship.

She has noticeably grown up. Traded in her converse sneakers for some high heels and let her short hair grow really long. I don't see a reason why her boyfriend would dump her.

I remember when we were kids, back when I used to protect her from any boy who would try to talk to her. But after she moved away, we lost touch. And now a guy has hurt her, yet she doesn't seem that affected by it.

Why couldn't I be like that?

Why did Ari have such an affect on me?

The way Emily used to...

I shake my head of these absurd thoughts and focus on trying to have a good time tonight with Vanessa. We have a lot of catching up to do.

Why isn't she hurting the way that I am?

Her ex is lucky he doesn't live here because he would've gotten hurt. Psychically.

She's moving back next week and I'll be damned if I let another guy hurt her. I'm right back to protecting her, just like when we were kids.

I glance over at her and she looks so carefree, she doesn't even look like she's going through a break up.

How does she do it?

"How do you do that?" I cautiously ask her.

"Do what?"

She seems confused and I'm a little reluctant to ask her.

"How do you act as if everything is okay? That you're not upset over what happened?"

"Everything is far from okay Zack, but I don't want to spend all my time and energy thinking about it. It hurts, believe me it hurts, but I'm not going to let that define who I am," she smiles sadly at me.

"Don't worry Vanessa, he'll never hurt you again. I won't let any guy hurt you again." I say instantly getting angry at the bastard who hurt her.

"I know you won't Zack," she smiles at me.