Episode 79

I was in the kitchen eating a grilled cheese sandwich

I was in the kitchen eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I had no idea why, but I was craving one today.

It had been a couple days since Lie freaked out on Recah. Kayleigh almighty, thank goodness the little girl didn't seem to have any memories of the ordeal she went through. I wasn't happy about it, but I had to charm her. Thankfully, it seemed like she was doing immensely better after she woke up.

That was difficult to watch. I could only imagine how Recah felt since she had to watch the whole thing and protect poor Lie from herself. If we were closer to her, it would be that much worse.

There were times where Eni's fear would make him act similarly. It made my heart shatter into a million pieces. I honestly didn't know how Ali and I got through it. There was no manual. It had to be played by ear and it was far from fun.

Anyway, that was behind us for now. We had to be grateful for that. If it came up again, Hannah, Ame, and Annie would do their best to help us.

Aunt Sarah came into the kitchen. She hadn't bothered to do anything to her hair. With that in mind, it actually didn't look too bad.

"You think we could talk, Tia?"

"Of course." I pulled out a chair. "Do you want anything? I think one of the others just went shopping."

She smiled. "I'm fine. I just woke up, so I'm not even hungry yet."

I glanced at my phone. It was eleven in the morning. I apparently just had an early lunch.

To tell the truth, I was surprised to hear that Aunt Sarah just woke up. I got the sense that she was a morning person like me and Ali.

"I had a really crazy day yesterday. I wasn't able to get to bed at a reasonable hour."

I raised an eyebrow. That didn't sound like fun.

"You must have heard about my assistant, Andrea?"

I nodded. I'd heard stories about her from Ali over the years.

"She was having a hard time breathing when she came to see me, so I had to take her to the hospital. We were there all day probably."

I bit my lip. That had to be stressful for Aunt Sarah. It wasn't easy when Daddy got sick... I didn't think I understood what was going on, but it didn't take a lot to understand that...

"She's doing better. I'm probably going to check on her later."

That was good...

"I didn't get the chance to ask before Christmas." She smiled at me through the bags beneath her eyes. "Is there anything you like to do?"

Anything I liked to do?

"I'm not sure... I mean I like stars, and I probably go through more hair things than most girls, but I don't think that's what you mean..."

"Is that it?"

I sighed. "I like spending time with my brothers."

"There isn't anything you like doing for yourself?"

I shook my head. "I'm happy being a big sister and a queen. I haven't really thought about much else in a long time if ever."

She put a hand over mine. "It's important to have your own interests. They can make a world of difference when life tries to knock you off your feet."

If nothing else, Mother wouldn't want me to completely ignore my own needs. I was certain of that.

"What sorts of things do people do for that?" I asked.

"Well, my big thing has always been music." She smiled. "Both of your brothers love books. If I remember right, Leon enjoyed dancing when we were younger."

This was news to me...

"Seriously?"

"There would times where I'd want my dad's attention, but he wouldn't be able to give it to me. Leon always stepped in, and he actually seemed to enjoy it."

Leon had done that with me a few times, but that was after Daddy had to leave if I remembered right...

"You're going to have your coronation after you get back, right?"

I nodded. "We're going to have it with the harvest festival."

"Is there anything you wanna do before that happens?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. I wasn't sure if anyone had actually asked me that before...

"Right now, I really just want to help Ali finish his work. I haven't really wanted anything else..."

"You really are a great big sister, Tia. And sometimes, when I look at you, I see Elia's face. She was the same way with me growing up."

That was good to know. I figured she was, but I'd never heard someone flat out say it before.

Recah came into the kitchen. She set her typewriter on the table and went into a box she kept here.

"Great..." She groaned. "Apparently, I need to go shopping..."

"What for?" Aunt Sarah asked.

She groaned. "Apparently, I'm out of paper. I can't do anything else until I get more."

"What kind of paper?"

"I think Ali calls it printer paper," I replied.

Aunt Sarah closed her eyes. "I think I should have some in my house. I could bring you some."

"No, it's fine." Recah got up. "I'll just go to the store. I go through a lot of paper, anyway."

Aunt Sarah yawned. "I think I'm going to take a shower before I fall asleep."

"Have a nice shower," I said.

Recah waited for Aunt Sarah to leave the room to ask, "Is she okay?"

"She just had a crazy day yesterday." I got up. "Maybe you should try buying more paper than usually do when you go to the store?"

"But I go through a lot of paper as it is."

I smiled. "I'm pretty sure it's cheaper in more ways than one to buy things in bulk."

"I guess so..." She turned her back to me. "I'll ask the others if they need anything before I go."

"Wait." My cheeks burned. "Is there a reason you like writing so much?"

She stopped. "I've been doing it since I was a little girl. It helps me when I'm stressed or can't seem to sleep." She sighed. "I don't think those are the biggest reasons, though... My favorite aunt is an accomplished author back home. She's like that lady who writes those magic books your little brother likes." Recah ran her fingers through her hair. "To tell the truth, I want to be like her someday..."

I got the sense Recah and I were alike in that way. Recah looked up to her aunt and wanted to be an author. I looked up to Mother and wanted to be a good queen. Some things were just universal.

"I think you'll do it, sweetie." I put a hand on her shoulder. "I think Alistair and Noah have a friend who gets paid for drawing things."

"You think Phoenix could do that? Doesn't he like doing that sort of thing?"

"He does, and I do." I smiled again. "No doubt."

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!