Episode 69

I finally got up the courage to text Seb yesterday

I finally got up the courage to text Seb yesterday. I wanted to meet him for coffee. I had something to ask him. It was something that should ideally be discussed in public.

I was nauseous on my way to meet him. That nagging voice in the back of my mind insisted that he'd never agree to help me. That he would mock me the way Audrey did when we were kids. That I was wasting our time.

Since he took his car, Seb got there first. He texted and offered to get me a drink. I didn't take it since I didn't know what I wanted. With how nervous I was, I wouldn't know what I wanted until I got to the counter.

I went straight to the counter since there was no line.

"Would you like your usual coffee, hon?" the lady at the counter asked.

"Not today." I looked at the menu board. "I'd like a green tea, please."

Maybe it was partially because of Dad's genes, but I liked it. At times like this, I got one with honey, mint, and citrus. If I drank coffee right now, I'd just make myself feel worse.

I could faintly hear her behind me.

"Hey, Seb." Audrey was using an unnecessarily high voice. "Meeting the blockhead for coffee?"

"None of your business." I was surprised he didn't snap. "Now if you don't mind, I'd like to enjoy my coffee in peace."

I could feel Audrey seething beneath the surface. She muttered, "Who does he think he's talking to?" beneath her breath.

That was when I decided to approach him.

"I know you heard Audrey," Seb said. "No need to hide it."

"Don't worry about it." Sweat beaded my brow. "She's just a jerk."

He sipped his coffee. "Want to take a breath? I had to learn some of your tells."

What should I say?

"What made you do that?"

"The accident." He turned his head. "You always let your guard down when you thought you were alone. Gave me glances into who you really were."

I looked at my tea. "You were subtle, but you tipped off Mama and Andrea when I was struggling."

"Felt that was the right thing to do." He took a long breath. "Anyway, enough about her, what did you want to talk about?"

"Did you know that I had a girlfriend?"

He furrowed his eyebrows. "You never flat out said so, but I have a guess. You look at Tiana similar to the way Jake looks at Mi-ma, so it's not her. If I had to guess, it's Recah. Could someone else I've never met, but that's my best guess."

How did—? Oh, yeah...

"Maybe you forgot. Seemed like you were having a rough day. I gave them a ride home."

"I remember now." My heart hammered in my chest. "I-I want to propose to her."

"Oh? When?"

My flames pooled in my cheeks. "On the second. When we go to see the lights."

"That's so romantic!" Seb scooted closer. "What did you want my help with?"

"I want to make sure no one interrupts. Would you mind seeing what you can do about that?" My flames were surging through my body. "I'm not sure if I want our other friends to be there or not, but I can ask a few of our other friends to help with that."

He asked, "Have you bought the ring yet?"

"Not yet..." I averted my gaze. "I wanted to get my plans out there first, so I couldn't back out."

"It doesn't have to be right now. Show me where you wanted to do it, and I'll see what I can do."

I almost bit my tongue. "Arigatou na..."

"It's really not a problem."

***

That was one down, one to go... How would I ask Noah's family? I didn't even know who else in his family I wanted to ask...

If nothing else, I should buy the ring before I could get the chance to talk myself out of it.

Kayleigh... One of his brothers and their family were walking toward me... What should I do now? Could I even try to ignore them? They were right there.

Their friend smiled. "What are you up to?"

My heart got caught in my throat. "I'm about to buy a ring."

"Oh?" His brother gazed into my eyes. The guy was the literal embodiment of a teddy bear and I was pretty sure I was still trembling. "For who?"

I could barely get the words out. I'd be shocked if they could hear me... "I want to propose to my girlfriend..."

Their eyes got big. "Congratulations."

The brother put a hand on my shoulder. "I think Star would be willing to make one if you asked."

"When were you planning on doing it?" the friend asked.

I pulled out my phone calendar.

"Ran..." The friend crossed his arms. "Do you really think that would give him enough time?"

"You think it's impossible?"

He raised an eyebrow.

"Star doesn't have the same issues he did back then. It could be possible..."

The friend shook his head. "Do you have any idea what kind of ring you want to give your girlfriend?"

"I'd have to look..." I said.

"Is there anything you could use help with?" Ran asked.

I was nauseous again. I couldn't even try to use tea to calm my nerves. I'd finished it already.

"I don't know if I want our friends to be there or not yet." I couldn't look at them. "I'm going to take them to see Christmas lights. Might see if we can go on a date."

"So, you want us to make sure they enjoy it?" the friend asked.

I nodded. I didn't want to leave them high and dry just because of what I'm planning to do. That wouldn't be fair to them. They deserved to have a good time.

"Whose help do you want?" Ran asked.

"Noah's, for sure... Would you and Alastair be willing to help, too?"

He smiled. "Of course, I would. If I'm being honest, I think Star would like an excuse to see your sister again."

The friend looked at Ran like he grew a second head.

Why was he telling me that? Did he think about it before he said it? I wasn't sure...

"Anyway, do you have my number? Or you should have Noah's, right?"

I nodded. "I have Noah's."

I guess the only prep I had left was to buy a ring... It was now or never...

***

Aw... Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!