Episode 37: Broken

Alain practically ran into his house with his sister

Alain practically ran into his house with his sister. I felt bad for the guy. His worry for her was practically tangible. Hopefully she would just need rest.

Duke was looking at me and Becca when I got through the door. "What happened to the princess?"

"She took out the Lock," I replied. "Where's Lie?"

"In our room. She didn't get much sleep last night I don't think." Duke put his hands behind his head. "Already know how those siblings are holding up. What about you two?"

Becca shook her head. "I'm alright."

"Me, too," I said.

They followed me into my room. They must've wanted to know what they were supposed to do now or something.

I sat down on my bed. That was when a surge of pain hit me. I grabbed my wrist. The adrenaline from the battle must've worn off.

"Marshall!" Becca looked like she might've bitten her tongue.

I laughed but I was tense. "I'm fine."

"Sometimes, you really are too stubborn for your own good, man." Duke sighed. "I'm gonna go get some ice."

My sister ran out of the room. It looked like she had to go to the bathroom.

I moved slowly and carefully so I was laying on my bed.

Duke came back a few minutes later. "You think we should call Hannah?" He didn't give me time to get a word in. "It might be good to get her opinion on it, too, but I'm not talking about this." He gently set the ice on my wrist. "I meant for those siblings. If the princess is as bad off as she seems, those two can't be taking it well."

"With how close they are, they probably aren't." I sighed. "It'd be nice if we could call Noelle the way we could back on Engrada."

"It would. She knows those two better than the rest of us, so she can probably get away with things we can't." He crossed his arms. "Plus, we all know Alain is too stubborn for his own good. Even if we do everything we can for him, he might still crash when this is all said and done."

My gaze drifted my open window. "I'd love to say you're wrong, but we both know that's entirely possible."

My sister came back into my room. She had a thin layer of sweat on her face.

Duke raised an eyebrow. "With the princess in the shape she's in, shouldn't you go check on your boyfriend?"

"I might smother him if I do." She bit her lip. "That's not something he needs right now. He can't be taking her condition well right now. Never mind how the prince's reaction affected him."

"Go be with your boyfriend."

"He might not want me in his room right now."

Duke met her trembling gaze. "Go be with your boyfriend."