Episode 3: Departure

We met Alain in the throne room this morning to leave

"So, Lie's parents are in this place called Taradita..." Duke had his hands behind his head. "How are we getting there, anyway?"

Tiana put her hands in her pockets. "Noelle doesn't know. That's why we're heading to Earth in the first place." She turned her head and muttered words I couldn't make out.

"Why?" Recah asked. Her cheeks were bright red, and her forehead was sweaty.

"This is how we'll get that answer." Alain smiled and squeezed her hands. "Another Protector will have one for us."

Tiana went to his side. "She has KKs to watch, so she can't leave. We have to go to her." She stood up taller. "We believe it's worth it for what we must do."

"What's their name?" I asked.

He knelt so I could look him in the eyes. "Hannah."

"Wow!" My face glowed. "That's so pretty!"

"How are we getting to Earth, anyway?" Raising his eyebrows, Duke turned his back. "Wherever that is, I know it's nowhere near here."

That was a good question.

"I have that covered." Alain got closer to him. "You'll see."

Recah smiled. "Using the Earth-Engrada gate, right?"

"Yep." Alain's eyes reminded me of ice, but they were empty. He was looking past us, past the walls, past everything.

That never happened before. Then again, we never saw his gate before. What was he thinking about? It was weird to see him like that before. I didn't like it.

He looked calm. After they beat the bad guys, he looked like he had ants in his pants. Not now, though.

"Hey, Alain!" I had a big smile on my face. "You happy to be going home?"

There was quiet.

"I dunno. I haven't been there in so long. It could be like an alien planet when we arrive."

Duke cracked a smile. "An alien planet is an alien planet." He shrugged. "We won't know the difference, anyway."

Did Duke really have to say that? Alain must've known that.

Duke said, "Explains why you didn't know our customs, though."

Alain turned his head and Recah rolled her eyes. They must not have liked that.

"I'm excited." I jumped. "Let's go!"

"What are you gonna do?" Duke put a hand on my shoulder to tell me to calm down. "Make a gate like you did last time?"

Tiana put an envelope on the bigger throne and went back to Phoenix's side.

Duke was still smiling. "Why isn't Noelle here? I thought she'd want to see you off."

"We spoke to her this morning," Alain answered.

Tiana had her fists clenched at her side. "I asked her not to."

"I'm not." Alain approached the four thrones. "It's more practical to use a mirror."

One was leaning on the throne next to the one Tiana put the envelope on.

Alain put his hand on his shoulder. An old key made of rock appeared in his hands. He pressed the key against the glass. "Wanna start us off, Marshall?"

"This'll be fun!" Marsh touched the glass and got sucked inside.

"Why don't you take Eni through with you next, T?"

Tiana whispered in Alain's ear before she and Phoenix left holding hands.

Duke raised his eyebrows after they left. "Where'd you find this thing, anyway?"

"Noelle." He moved away. "I'm going last. I don't want the gate to close too soon."

"Okay..." Duke grabbed my hand and we ran through together.

It was so exciting! My heart was racing! But, in a good way. It was warm, but it felt like nothing else. I wouldn't have minded if we needed to go again.

Alain and Recah came through together holding hands. Right then, Alain looked so happy and peaceful. I didn't get to see him like that much.

I looked around. "A bedroom? Why are we in a bedroom?"

Alain's jaw dropped. He looked like a ghost got him. "I can't believe we ended up here of all places..."

A man with dark hair and blue eyes was sitting at a desk with a strange cup in his hand. "Okaeri, ore no musuko."

"Tadima." He turned to us. "Can you guys wait for me in the garden?"

Tiana and Recah led us out of the room. Recah wasn't gonna give Duke any room to listen in on Alain and that man.

We wandered through the house. People were hiding behind walls and doors but left us alone. It took a few minutes, but we found the garden.

Alain's parents had pretty plants and statues.

I told him this when he joined us outside.

Alain smiled at me and stood between two of the statues. He touched the one on the right.

There were white chairs and tables here and the two statues were in different places. The plants had red flowers on them, too.

Tiana's jaw dropped. "I can't believe what just happened!" She stepped out of the line we'd formed. "Since when do you have a teleportation ability, Little Brother?"

"I'll explain later."

Duke threw up on the grass. "I still hate teleporting!"

I stroked his hair and I looked away when Duke took Marsh's hand even though I knew he didn't want to.

My hair bounced in the wind. "That's such a big house! I've never seen such a big house in my life!"

"Neither have I." Marsh stayed still. "Is there any special reason you wanted to come here?"

Alain put his hands in his pockets and turned his back to us. "The Protector we'll be meeting lives around here."

"So, you weren't homesick?"

Marsh glared at Duke. "Let's go inside." He was smiling, but he was covered in sweat. "We've had a rough couple of days. It wouldn't be wise to argue right now."

"Marshall's right." Alain headed for the door. "There's an absurd number of bedrooms in this house. No one has to share unless they want to."

Duke looked into my eyes before saying, "We're staying together."

Alain had his hands behind his head. "Everything but my room and the master is fair game. I'm not sure if Mama is using it or not."

Marsh said he'd sleep wherever.

Phoenix let go of Tiana's hand. "I wanna sleep by myself." He smiled. "I haven't done that in forever."

"If you're sure..." Alain and Tiana looked at each other. "Don't really know what I want yet."

Recah wanted to watch the ama rise from her room. Alain said he'd show her the perfect room.

***

And Alain has returned to Earth with the Engrads in tow! Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!