Episode 38: Go for a Drive

I was hesitant to leave my sister when she'd yet to wake up

I was hesitant to leave my sister when she'd yet to wake up. I did it to avoid worrying Eni more than he already was, but I hardly wanted to eat. I had next to no appetite.

Recah finally convinced me to shower around eleven. She would watch my sister if I needed her to. Soon before that, I got my sleeping bag out of my camping gear. I wasn't sleeping much as it was, so Eni deserved the bed.

He had fallen asleep on the sleeping bag while I was in the shower. Recah was about to cover him with a blanket. I shook my head and put him in the bed.

With their parents dead, T was the only family he had left. They needed to be together. Love was a powerful force. I had to hope his love for her would give her strength.

Not that I was surprised, but I didn't get to sleep 'til three or four. I tried to read my mystery and some of the books I had on my shelves but no dice. My body wasn't going to let me get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

I woke up at seven or eight, so I got five hours of sleep at best. This was probably going to be a long day...

Marshall and Duke were in the kitchen. That was when I noticed. He had a bandage on his wrist.

"Kayleigh... How did I not notice?" I had a dull pain behind my eyes. "That lady got you back there..."

"Don't worry about it." Marshall gazed into my eyes. "Give it a couple weeks, and I'll be good as new. I didn't even realize it happened until after we got home."

"You want eggs?" Duke asked. "I'm about to make some cuz that's what I want."

I still hardly wanted to eat. I didn't really have to seeing as Eni was still asleep.

"You didn't come in here to make coffee, did you?" Duke looked at me sideways.

I scoffed. "You think I like coffee?" I got another lemon-lime soda out of the fridge. "I only use it when I absolutely need it to not crash. I'm not even close to that point yet."

"You're not gonna try to eat anything?" Marshall asked.

"It's too early."

Even if I just had toast or something, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep it down then. I woke up nauseated, but I wasn't surprised given the circumstances.

I went back to my room and opened my soda. This would be enough for a few hours. I'd eat when Eni woke up.

I dug out my phone and wireless headphones and laid down. It was the only thing I could think to do to keep my sanity. After last night, I doubted I could concentrate well enough to read.

I was about to fall asleep when I heard the door creak open.

My heart skipped a beat. "Recah...?"

"It's not."

It couldn't have been T for obvious reasons... She said she wasn't Recah... I was sure I'd know if she was Mama... Lie's voice was higher... Ai couldn't get to Earth without me... Who was she? Audrey would've sounded more abrasive...