Episode 71

Recah and I wanted to wait for a few days before telling the others our big news

Recah and I wanted to wait for a few days before telling the others our big news. It was like we were living in a dream. We wanted to wait for it to set in before we told them.

It would be majorly disappointing if the whole thing turned out to be a dream...

Anyway, I went to Ai's house after we ate breakfast. She would want to be there when I gave the others the others the news. Not to mention that she probably wanted to see Lie and the boys.

I actually managed to not land in the middle of the room this time. Boy was that a relief. I wasn't sure how I could manage doing that twice.

Since it was December fifth, it was raining right now. I landed at the front door. That was great. I didn't particularly want to get rained on. I didn't bring an umbrella with me, either.

When I knocked on the door, one of the staff opened it.

"Welcome." She curtsied. "Is My Lady expecting you today?"

"Not today." Somehow, I managed a smile. I felt like I was sweating. "I wanted to surprise her."

"I'm sure she'll be delighted to see you then."

Ai was in a living room area laying on a couch. She had a book in her hands.

"Alain..." She perked up when she saw me. "I'm surprised you didn't call before you came."

This was hard enough. How much worse would it be if I called her instead?

"Of course, I want to see the others, but that's not why you're here."

"There's news." My flames pooled in my cheeks. "The others don't really know what it is yet, either."

She set her book down. "So, you're about to sit everybody down?"

"Yeah..."

"Are we going to be outside at all?" She swung her legs off the couch. "I don't know if you saw or not, but it's raining right now."

I turned my head. "You don't have to put shoes on if you don't want to. I might just open the gate in my room."

"Let's go." She got up. "I don't feel like wearing shoes."

"Alright then." I bowed after I opened the gate. "After you."

Ai rolled her eyes. "You told me about your family. Aren't you supposed to be a noble or something?"

"I think so..."

The gate took us into my room. I was minutes away from sharing Recah's and my big news.

***

Duke was sitting on the arm of the couch. Lie sat beside him with Marshall on her other side. My siblings were on the other couch. Ai came and stood beside Duke.

Now that everyone was situated, Recah and I stood in front of our friends front and center. We clasped hands, looked at each other and smiled. "We're getting married!"

Ai and Duke looked like they almost fell to the ground. "No way!"

"When did—?" Duke asked.

Marshall cracked a smile. "That was what you were up to when you had Hannah's family see the lights with us, weren't you?"

"Yeah... Still might have invited those guys along anyway, though..."

T came and put her arms around us. "Congratulations! I'm sure Kayleigh is smiling down on you right now!"

Ai, Duke, and Marshall looked at each other before they said, "I was wondering when you were going to finally take the plunge!"

"Are you guys going to wait to have the actual ceremony?" Duke asked.

"Yeah," Recah replied. "We're going to wait until after my birthday for sure."

I added, "We also want everything from this mission to blow over first. That way, we can enjoy it all in peace."

"Sounds good." Marshall smiled. "No need to rush the big day."

"Have you told your parents yet?" Ai asked.

I shook my head. "We're thinking about waiting until Christmas. Truthfully, I'm nervous about what they'll think..."

"You shouldn't be," T said. "Aunt Sarah will be over the moon. Can I tell Leon?"

"Good ahead. He's welcome to tell Noelle if he wants."

***

Kaze then left the room. Lie and the boys followed suit. Eni went, too, but I wasn't sure if he knew he was doing it.

It felt like something was chewing at my insides. I didn't like that feeling.

Recah leaned into me. "What's the matter, Honey?"

"It just hit me..." I had tears in my eyes. "I've hardly thought about Vanny since our last battle... Even when her sister told us her bombshell... I didn't stop to think about how that'll affect Vanny once we get her home..."

Ai stretched to wipe the tears from my eyes. "You've been taking time off to take care of yourself. There is nothing wrong with that. Your friend wouldn't be happy if you neglected to do that for her sake."

I turned to Ai. "That reminds me. There's something you'll probably want to know..."

Ai shushed me. She went into Japanese. "We don't have to worry about that right now. We can discuss that another day. You two should enjoy some time to yourselves."

"Why don't we relax in the den for a bit?" Recah ruffled my hair. "It's good to relax after everything that's happened. We haven't really gotten a chance to breathe."

"Can I bring the book you got me?"

She smiled. "Of course, you can. I'll go get it."

I looked at Ai.

"I'm fine." She put her hand on my shoulder. "Enjoy your fiancé. I can ask Noelle to send me home if I need to."

Recah and I spent the rest of the day together. The warmth of her touch made me feel better. My mind slowed and so did my heart rate. The things that needed to be done didn't matter. The others could handle it by themselves.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!