Episode 20: Shrinking Violet

I had gone to this coffee shop by my old high school

I had gone to this coffee shop by my old high school. I wanted coffee and to get out of the house, so it seemed like a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

I had no idea why I woke up craving coffee. I didn't really even like the stuff. I only drank it if I was close to crashing from my weird sleep schedule. Even then, I tried to avoid it when I could.

It took a few minutes for the person at the counter to make my coffee. Once they had, I went out on the patio. I wanted to take my time and I didn't feel like bringing a jacket. It seemed like I was always cold in that coffee shop.

Anyway, I sat at a table in the sun. I wanted to soak some up while I was out, and it was naturally warmer, which was always a plus.

I found myself spacing out.

I found myself unable to get warm in spite of being in the sun.

Someone was coming. They were gliding across the ground, but I could still faintly feel their ripples. There was a familiar air about them...

It was a girl with fiery red hair and deep green eyes. She was definitely not short. She was at least around my size even with the height her shoes gave her.

She felt similar to Chastity in some way, but I couldn't put my finger on how. Her face was almost a spitting image of the Vanny I remembered from my childhood.

"What did I ever see in you? Why did I ever call you my friend?" Her words oozed acid.

My voice shook. "W-wh-what?"

"You heard me, Watanabe." Her eyes looked metallic. "Why did I ever call you my friend?"

"W-what d-did I d-do?" I asked.

"It's what you didn't do, you pitiful shrinking violet."

Shrinking violet? I was a shrinking violet?

"W-what didn't I do?"

"It's your fault I was torn away from my family. If it weren't for you, I'd still be living with Cha-cha."

I was shaking. "I-I didn't mean for you to get caught up in this. I didn't know they took you. I didn't have the chance to stop them. I didn't have the chance to do anything."

"Don't make excuses. It's your fault. It's your fault."

That was when I come out of the nightmare or whatever that was.

Vanny, please. I wanted to save you. I wanted to save you so badly. But I can't do it. I can't do it 'til I can get to you. Help me. help me, please.

That was when I felt ripples. These were more intense than when Vanny showed up.

"Hiya, Alain." I couldn't tell who this was, but I was sure they were a guy. I hadn't been seeing great lately. My ripples weren't helping, either, so that was all I could figure out.