Episode 76

Today was the third and things felt like they were calm again for the first time in forever

Today was the third and things felt like they were calm again for the first time in forever. After our battle two months ago, Kayleigh threw one thing after another at us. It was hard to rebound from it.

Anyway, it was about time I got back to the task at hand. Vanny wasn't going to just magically get back on her own. If she did, the person that made that happen would probably use that against me.

We all gathered in the front room. I wanted to see who would go with me into Taradita with me.

Lie was leaning into Duke on one couch. My siblings were on the other one. Marshall and Recah were standing behind them.

"I know it's been a while." I had my arms crossed. "But I want to get back out there. I want to see if we can find any clues to where my friend and Lie's parents could be."

"Well, I don't wanna go." I hadn't noticed before, but Lie's eyes were drooping. "I didn't sleep very good last night."

I wasn't sure if it was my place to ask, but I wondered what happened.

"I promised Eni I'd read him more of that book your parents got for him today."

My little brother practically had sparkles in his eyes. That suggested T didn't really promise that, but I didn't care. She probably didn't want to go and that didn't bother me. Regardless, it was important to both of us to make our brother happy.

We were down to Recah, Marshall, and Duke now. If Lie wasn't feeling well, one of them was likely going to stay back to be sure she was well cared for.

"Have you eaten yet today, sweetie?" Recah asked.

The little girl shook her head.

Recah took her hand and led her away. She gave Lie a warm smile that almost seemed motherly.

That settled who would stay back but would Duke or Marshall want to stay back, too?

"I guess we'll go scouting with you then," Marshall said.

Duke looked at him sideways.

"My sister can take care of Lie. Besides, the royal siblings will be here, too, so they'll be fine. It'd be better for us to help with scouting. We've put the task at hand on hold for far too long."

Duke crossed his arms. "I guess so... Doesn't mean I have to like it, though..."

It certainly did not...

I just opened the gate right there. I didn't feel like going outside. It was cold...

***

The gate spit us out in front of that café we always came to when we were here. That was rather convenient.

When we came in, all of the regulars were there.

The man at the counter said, "Welcome back."

"We were wondering when you were going to visit us again." The lone man had his arms folded.

I scratched the back of my neck. "Yeah... We've had a crazy couple of months."

"Still looking for the same people?" the older lady asked.

"Yeah," Marshall replied. "We still haven't found them yet."

My flames pooled in my cheeks. "Would you happen to know of any other places we can check out?"

"Of course, we do," the girl with curly, red hair said. "Look to the east. You may well find them there."

"Be warned, though." The older woman rose. "It's a large area to search. You likely won't get a hit on your first time there."

I smiled. "That's fine. I'm fully willing to search every inch of the place."

And I meant that. Vanny and Lie's parents deserved nothing less.

Look to the east... I felt like I could have been in China... It was because of that viewpoint that Japan came to be called "the Land of the Rising Sun". That was my first thought when I heard that.

"Is there anything else you could tell us about the place?" Duke asked.

The lone man said, "I'm sorry. We've never been there, so we only know what the rumors say."

"Don't worry about it." I waved my hand. "Even the littlest clues help."

The boys looked at each other. They didn't seem to know what to say next.

"Would there happen to be anywhere we could get any maps?" I asked.

The lone man shook his head. "It's hard to map roads since they all look the same."

That made sense. They must have had to leave breadcrumbs or something to use as homing beacons. If I didn't get lost, it'd be because of my powers orienting me.

I bowed. "Thank you for all your help."

We went outside after that.

***

"What do you want to do now?" Marshall asked. "Want to poke around a bit since we're already here?"

I shook my head. "We're not ready for another big battle right now. I'm sure you'd both like to get back to Lie, too. Charging in could be our undoing."

Duke rolled his eyes. He probably didn't believe me. That was fine. I didn't have other motives, but words may not have been able to sway him. I was fine with that.

"What are you planning to do once we get back?" Marshall asked.

"I'm probably going to give Hannah a call some time today." I put my hand on my birthmark. "I'd like to get through a chapter of the book Recah got me, too. The chapters take time since they're long and complex." I looked up. "I'm also pretty sure T will need a hand reading Eni his book. She's gotta get tired sometime."

A place to search was good enough for me. Searching haphazardly would yield poor results. I didn't want to be a man history best remembered for his failures. Sometimes, if a man failed, history paid little if any mind to the good things he accomplished.

A plan would make a world of difference here. That was clear to me. I wanted to go in with the best one I could, so we would have the best chance to rescue Vanny and Lie's parents when the time came.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!