Episode 66: A Letter from M.J.

I wanted to write my aunt a letter

I wanted to write my aunt a letter. I'd been feeling homesick today. It made me feel gross. The letter was the only thing I could think of to alleviate my feelings.

I couldn't really go home since I didn't really have one anymore. Of course, Becca and I weren't really talking to the rest of our relatives, either. We weren't really looking forward to opening the door to letting them smother us.

That was why we chose to become travelers, after all. It was a breath of fresh air to be away from them.

Someone had made oatmeal this morning. I decided to get some while I still could. Since he was still growing, Duke tended to finish off containers if we left them out.

My sister was in the kitchen when I got in there. It seemed to be her favorite place to write.

"Have you seen Alain today?" I asked.

"No, not yet." She wouldn't look up from her writing. "Tiana told me that he woke up a couple hours ago and had made a light breakfast."

He had eaten today. That was good. It might not necessarily be as much as we'd like, but we had to take what we could get. Sometimes, we had a feeling he didn't eat at all.

"Did she say if he seemed to be doing better or not?"

"She thought he might have been, but it was too soon to tell. She hopes he waits before going back into Taradita."

I dug into my oatmeal. "If we refuse to go with him then he can't go. I imagine Hannah's KKs won't agree if they figure out why we refused to go."

"I guess so... It sounds like they're attentive to these sorts of things."

I put my dishes in the sink when I was done with them.

"Hey, Becca? Can I have a piece of paper or two?"

"What for?"

I scratched the back of my neck. "I want to write a letter to Aunt Lyn, so I need paper to do that."

The back door swung open. Alain's dad came in. "Would you happen to have any tea? I'd rather not bug my wife to go to the store. She had a late night last night."

Becca got up. "I think so." She opened the cabinet door. "Do you have a preference, sir?"

"You kids don't have to be so formal. It's clear that you're good friends with my son."

Becca pulled out three different packets.

He took a packet of jasmine tea.

"Mar, just take my typewriter." Becca took out the paper she had been writing on. "I need to go shopping with Tiana, anyway."

"Becca, I'm fine." I sighed. "I just need a piece of paper."

His dad raised his eyebrows. "If you insist on writing by hand, wouldn't it be better to use lined paper?"

"I'm not sure if we have any. Becca and Phoenix are the ones who use the most paper."

"Phoenix does a lot of drawing and I primarily use it for my typewriter, so we don't really need the lines."

Becca picked up her typewriter.

His dad looked at her out of the corner of his eye. "Isn't that heavy?"

"Camping gear is a lot heavier." Becca grabbed my wrist with her free hand. "Come along now, big brother..."

"Becca!"

She practically dragged me into my room. She set her typewriter on my desk then got out some fresh paper and loaded it into the typewriter.

"Just use the typewriter." She froze for a minute. "Oh, and can you tell her Alain got it, but I don't know if he's read any of it yet?"

Becca shut the door behind her on her way out.

I sighed. I might have been the one who initially taught her to use it, but I wasn't very comfortable with using Becca's typewriter. I felt awkward using it.

I never learned to type the way she and Alain did.

Becca was like a fish to water with it. It was plain to see that Alain was impressed with how quickly she learned to use it. She also seemed to learn to type faster by watching Alain.

My little sis was always a quick study, though... Skills I had to work for came naturally to her. I was always insanely proud of her. Even if she didn't want me saying so.

Well... The letter to Aunt Lyn wasn't going to write itself... I might as well get started... I didn't want to hog Becca's typewriter. Knowing her, she'd probably want it after she and Tiana got back from grocery shopping.

Hey, Aunt Lyn.

It's M.J. Sorry I haven't written to you in so long. It wasn't really a good idea to while I was traveling with Alain. I didn't want stupid Izaz to intercept our letters. And it wouldn't have been good if the Council intercepted our letters from the palace.

I'd been meaning to write you since we went to stay in a house Alain's family owns. I just hadn't been able to put pen to paper. I'm mainly using Becca's typewriter right now, because she insisted.

Oh, speaking of Alain, Becca wanted me to tell you that he got the book you sent but doesn't know if he's read it yet. No idea why she wanted me to tell you that instead of writing herself.

Aunt Lyn... I wish I could hear your voice right now... I'm feeling so homesick. Other than writing this letter, I don't know what else I can do about it.

The home I want to go back to is gone. I'm with my little sister. That should be enough, but it's not... I don't know why I'm clinging to a past that's long gone...

I miss you.

All my love,

M.J.

I kind of couldn't wait for Becca to get home. I really wanted a hug. Lie would gladly accept a random hug, but I knew that she could read my emotions. I didn't want her to worry just because I was homesick.

***

Part 2!

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!