Episode 43

My eyes fluttered open

My eyes fluttered open. They felt gross. They must've gotten crusty while I was sleeping. Ali was laying on our bed with me. He looked like he might've been half asleep.

"Ali..." My voice sounded terrible. Did I accidently swallow some nails or something?

"Kaze!" Ali had tears in his eyes. He gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

"Is she awake?" This was Ellie. She looked straight into my eyes. "Thank Kayleigh, Tia! I was worried."

Ali rubbed Phoenix's back. He'd been sleeping on my other side. "Eni..." His voice was soft. "Wake up, bud."

Phoenix sat up. He had some bedhead. "Huh?"

I reached for my baby brother with a heavy, trembling hand. "Phoe..."

Phoenix buried his face in my stomach. He was crying. "I missed you, T!"

"Here." Annie wiped my eyes and mouth with a damp washcloth. "That feel better?"

I couldn't talk, so I used my telepathy to tell her that it was.

"Kaze." Ali ran his fingers through my hair. "I'll be right back, alright?"

I gave him a smile. I wasn't worried. I know he would be right back. He probably needed to go to the bathroom or something.

Annie smiled at Phoenix. "I need a little space, alright? You don't have to get out of bed, though."

Phoenix buried his face in a pillow. The poor kid was still crying. I didn't blame him, but there wasn't a lot I could do about that at the time. He seemed to be scared.

Annie gave me some of her psychic energy. I sighed when she did. It made my body feel lighter.

'Annie?'

'Yeah?' She looked in my eyes. 'Need something?'

'How long was I asleep for?'

'A few days. You used too much of your psychic energy.'

Ali came back into our room. He had a plastic red bowl in his hand. It looked like food. That made my mouth water.

"You must be starving."

I was. I hadn't been able to eat while I was sleeping, after all.

Ellie sat me up and moved my pillows, so I wouldn't fall back.

Ali then fed me some noodle soup. Not having eaten for a few days, it was amazing.

***

I went back to sleep after that. It wasn't something I liked, but I knew I needed the rest. Psychic powers were taxing. That was sort of a fact of life. I felt awful the first time it happened.