Episode 39: Out with Noah

It looked like he was having a hard time with it, but Ain was trying to read one of his books when I fell asleep

It looked like he was having a hard time with it, but Ain was trying to read one of his books when I fell asleep. I didn't know why, but I was tired. It was only 7:30 then.

When I woke up later, it was still dark in Ain's room. The clock on his bed table said 3:30. I'd been asleep for six hours if I counted right. Yeah, it was still really early.

Ain was sleeping in his sleeping bag again. When I looked at him, Ellie was kneeling over him. Ain looked like he might've been cold.

"Ellie?" I whispered. "Is Ain having one of his bad dreams again?"

"Yeah." Ellie was gently rubbing his back. "I'm trying to give him a good one, but it doesn't always work."

Ain had always had problems with bad dreams. They never tried to hide that. I wasn't sure if it would've ever worked. I wondered why they happened though. I wasn't sure if they ever told me.

I got out of bed and laid beside him. It seemed like cuddles always helped when one of us had bad dreams.

"I'm going to put you in the bed if you fall asleep, alright?" Ellie brushed Ain's hair out of his face. "I don't want you to sleep in the cold and get sick."

"'Kay."

I didn't get why Ellie felt like that would happen, but I didn't feel like arguing. I was still tired.

I hoped Ain would sleep better if I did this. He'd feel better and it'd help T even if she still needed more sleep tomorrow.

***

My head hurt when I woke up. The sun was up now. The rest of me didn't really wanna move. I blinked to try and make my sleep leave.

Ain took his headphones out of his ears. "Morning, bud."

Ellie gave me a hug. "Morning."

"Morning."

I got up to take a shower. I wanted to wash away my sleep and loosen up. Plus, I didn't have the chance to take one last night.

I came out with a towel on my head. My hair was still wet.

Ain ruffled my hair. "Did you enjoy your shower?"

"Uh huh." I looked at our sister. "Is T any better yet?" I looked at Ellie. "Is there really nothing else we can do for her?"

Ellie used her glowing hand on T's forehead before she gave me a hug. "Watch over her like we've all been since she fell asleep."

I kind of expected that answer, but I didn't like it.

"Is there anything either of you want to eat?"

"I think Mama bought me food when we went out yesterday." Ain put his hands behind his head. "If she did, I'm gonna eat that."