Episode 80

We were going to Hannah's today

We were going to Hannah's today. She had new information for me, and I was excited to hear it.

The others knew I had questions for Hannah now, so there wasn't a reason to hide it anymore. They'd come this time, too. Phoenix was probably going to play with his friend while we were there, but I didn't care. It wasn't like he had to be there.

Alain's mom offered us a ride, but we didn't take it. We were fine with walking and it sounded like her car wouldn't be big enough for us, anyway.

When we got there, Hannah had snacks and drinks waiting for us. Phoenix also went to find his friend.

Alain and Recah sat together. Marsh and Duke were at my sides. Tiana chose to sit with Hannah.

Hannah put her hands over mine. "Are you ready to hear what I have to tell you? Some of it might be difficult or not what you want to hear."

"I'm ready." I met her eyes. "I want to know who that girl was. It's been driving me crazy."

"Okay then..." Hannah took a deep breath. "Well, first, you saw her because of the powers you have."

My powers?

"Your psychic powers allowed it to happen. Leon dug through records with Noelle for me." Her hands were shaking. "They believe that girl was related to you. They aren't sure how or from when though."

That girl was my family? How? I didn't know anyone who looked like her.

"She called you Briana, didn't she? Do you have any ties to that name?"

I nodded. "My middle name is Briana, and my family used to call me Bri..."

"I think that could support the idea of her being related to you."

A boy came in. I wanted to say he was about the same age as Alastair. "Seriously, Hannah." He set a folder down on the little table. "You forgot to set this out for them."

"You're a lifesaver, En." She smiled. "I'd lose my head if it wasn't permanently attached."

"Anyway, have fun." He turned to leave. "I'm going to check on Noah and the monkeys."

Hannah grabbed the folder. "Leon was able to find some records on your mom, Sweetie."

Leon found some papers?

"Apparently, your mom's name before she got married was Diana Daichi."

I didn't know that. I didn't think Mom talked about what things were like when she was young very much.

"She wasn't from Engrada. She lived in another world the first twelve years or so of her life."

Alain perked up. "So, she's like my mama then?"

"It sounded like she was." Hannah looked between Duke and Marsh. "Lie is half-Engrad, half-something else."

I was like Alain then? I think someone said something like that about him once.

"We also found a picture of Lie from when she was a baby."

A picture of me?

Hannah laid it out on the table for us to see.

"Apparently, Lie had tuffs of red hair when she was born. It turned brown when she was around ten months old. Her parents were confused but they just accepted it and it turned out to be a good thing after the Council came to power."

The others all looked at each other.

"Anyway, we think it could have to do with her powers but we're not sure."

"It helped her blend in if nothing else," Marsh said.

Hannah smiled. "That girl should stop bugging you when you come into your powers."

"I sure hope so... That girl was annoying..."

"I promise it'll get better." Hannah looked into my eyes. "You're not the only one who's had to go through that. She might not be too happy that I'm telling you this, but Noelle had to go through it, too. It made her so mad."

I tilted my head. "It did?"

"It scared her. That made her get mad more easily."

I guess that made sense... It felt like I was forgetting something... I never liked that feeling.

"Is there anything else you could tell me, Hannah? I haven't seen Bubba or my parents in so long..."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I could have Leon and Noelle try to do more digging if you want."

"It's fine if they don't."

Alain came and knelt in front of me. "We'll do we can everything to bring your parents home. I promise."

"I know you will..."

Duke and Marsh put their arms around me. They were so warm. Actually, so was Alain. Everybody there was so extra warm.

Alain went back to his spot next to Recah.

"Kayleigh! I almost forgot!"

I jumped when he did that. Duke pulled me onto his lap and let me lean into him.

"Sorry, kiddo..." Alain gave off a hot flash. "I wanted to ask you something."

"Ask away."

His eyes drifted toward the ceiling. "Do you have anything that keeps you from getting lost?"

"That depends. What do you mean?"

"Everything in Taradita looks the same. If we search a big area blindly, we're bound to get lost or waste time in places we already checked."

Hannah furrowed her eyebrows. "That wouldn't be good. I might be able to find something."

Somebody else came into the room.

He said, "I should have exactly what they need back at my other place."

Hannah looked at him sideways.

"I'm serious! You don't remember when we used them to find him?"

"Aren't those things like five years old then?"

His face turned red. "If we need new ones, I'm sure Ame can get new ones."

"Thanks for your help then. It sounds like these things are really useful."

"They were the last time we used them." He took a breath and smiled. "I'll get them once someone can give me a ride. I'll make sure they work before I give them to Hannah for you."

Alain smiled. "Thanks."

"We could ask Arthur to give you guys a ride when you're ready to go home," Hannah said. "He has a van, and it might rain today, so..."

"If he doesn't mind then. I don't think the others will mind if we have to walk, though."

"It shouldn't be a problem." Hannah waved her hand. "Arthur loves driving."

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!