Episode 18: Story Time

Ali left after he told me why he didn't really have any friends growing up

Ali left after he told me why he didn't really have any friends growing up. He wanted to read that massive mystery of his somewhere else.

He was affected by my and Phoenix's undesirable situation. I'd always known that. What I hadn't known was that it affected his chances at forging his own friendships. How could I ever be okay with that as a big sister?

An old memory weaseled its way to the forefront of my mind.

My body would've been thirteen at this point if I was still outside. That was not an easy year for me. I was feeling some of those baffling feelings or hormones all thirteen-year-olds felt.

It was one of the roughest points of my life in there. Maybe ever even.

I'd put Phoenix to bed with a story like I did every "night". Since he was sleeping, I put the bars up on his bed.

I sat with my back to the wall, against the door Ali used to visit us. I sat, hugging my knees. I'd covered myself with the blanket Annie gave me the night after we were first sealed away. I needed to muffle my words and sobs. I couldn't wake or worry my beloved Phoenix.

This was the only way I'd allow myself to cry.

"Oh, glorious Kayleigh. Hear me! I don't care what happens to me. My mother and father are long gone. My brothers are the only family I have left." My eyes teared up. "Save my beloved baby fire-bird. Don't allow him to remain here another minute longer."

I sobbed. I could hardly breathe for a few minutes.

"Phoenix was a mere four-years-old when we were forced into this retched place by those people in the masks. He was barely even a child."

Engrads would've still considered him a toddler at that point. His fifth birthday hadn't passed yet. Children were old enough to start proper school. That happened sometime between the ages of five and seven. He was non-verbal until two-and-a-half or three. With how small he was, he could pass for being that young when we were sealed away.

"Those people robbed my baby brother of a childhood. Even with Daddy's death, Mother, Leon, my caretaker, and the rest of the staff did what they could to give me one."

I was truly grateful for that. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. Without it, I didn't know what happy memories I would have had to keep myself going in that retched place.

"My baby brother deserves so much more than I have the tools to give him in here. So much more. I'd move mountains if that was what it took to give him what he truly deserves."

When I came out of that memory, tears stained my face. I'd have to wash them away before anyone could see.

And that was exactly what I did.

Phoenix strolled into my room a few minutes later.

"Hey, T? Can you tell me a story? I wanna sleep more. The cold kept poking me awake when the ama was still sleeping."

The cold woke him? It did that more than once? I was surprised he didn't come into our room earlier. Ali had mentioned he was cold, too.

He didn't look good. His skin was paler than it usually was, and he was never quite as pale as me and Ali were. His eyes were red with bags beneath them.

"Sure." I grabbed his wrist. "Let's get you settled in."

I shook my head. With that memory of me calling to Kayleigh to aid me, Daddy was on my mind. I'd grab him by the wrist when I wanted to dance. It was magical to dance on your daddy's feet when you were four.

I got out another blanket out before I went into his room. He was laying on his unmade bed.

"So, Phoe... Is there any special story I want me to tell?"

His eyes lit up. "The girl who made the first Charms!"

I laughed. "You always loved that story." I draped his blankets over him. "Once upon a time, there was a girl called... Briana..."

My baby brother's eyes lit up.

"She lived with her mommy and daddy who loved her very much. Her mommy and daddy had a very important job to do. They were the king and queen. Even though being the king and queen was very important, they spent as much time with her as they could. They spent most of their time together in their special garden."

There was a fire in his eyes much like the one in his fiery hair.

"Each night, her mommy sang her to sleep in the garden. When she fell asleep, her bright, fiery hair shone in the pazlight. As she grew up, it shone brighter and brighter. When she turned thirteen-years-old or so, something magical happened."

Phoenix was totally entranced by this story. He always was whenever he heard it.

"A boy who worked for her family introduced her to a girl. Some say the girl was called Oriana. Oriana poured water from the fountain on her head and told her to close her eyes."

His eyes were heavy, barely open.

"When she opened her eyes, everything changed. The air around her was different. The servant boy was kind, kind beyond measure."

Phoenix was nearly asleep at this point.

"When Briana grew up, they got married, had lots of kids, and lived happily ever after."

I fixed his blankets, kissed his forehead, and tiptoed out of the room.

Aunt Sarah was waiting for me when I came out.

"Did your brother not sleep good?"

I shook my head. "He told me it was because he was cold. I got him another blanket."

"What about your other brother?"

I let my silence be my answer.

"I love my son, but sometimes he just does things that drive me up the wall. I wish he'd said something."

"You know him just as well as I do." I took a breath. "He's willing to put up with it so long as the rest of us are comfortable. For Marshall, in particular, I imagine."

"He's sensitive to hot weather, right?"

I nodded.

"I should go check on my son before I get back to work then."

I waved. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I went back to the room we shared. Maybe I'd find an answer in there.

***

Thoughts on T's memory? The royal siblings? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!