Episode 53: A Firebird's Smoke

When I got up this morning, the first thing I had to do was go to the kitchen

When I got up this morning, the first thing I had to do was go to the kitchen. I wasn't sure why. I slept in Ain and T's room last night since T didn't feel good. She wore herself out again. There wasn't much I could do about that, but I wanted to be with her. Still, I had to go to the kitchen.

Recah was in there when I got there. She was at the table with her big, black, noisy thing and a mug of steaming drink. She put some fresh paper in her big, black, noisy thing before she got up. "Did you eat anything yesterday?"

"Ain made soup yesterday. I had a little bit before I went to bed."

"Oh?" She raised her eyebrows. "When did you go to bed last night, sweetie?"

I put my hand over my pocket watch pocket. "Eight o'clock. I was tired yesterday."

"I don't blame you. That was a lot of excitement." She pulled out a chair. "Come sit. Have some breakfast before you go back to your siblings." She glanced at the door to the rest of the house. "Is your brother asleep?"

"I think so." I furrowed my eyebrows. "He didn't say anything when I got out of bed."

"I'll assume he is then." She put her big, black, noisy thing on the table by the door to the backyard. "Is there anything specific you want to eat?"

I shook my head. "Not very hungry."

"What about half a sandwich?" She got out some bread. "I want peanut butter and jelly even though I just ate."

"That's good," I said.

I ate half the sandwich Recah gave me. It was good. I started coughing after I finished it, though. That wasn't fun.

Recah put a cup of water in front of me.

I drank some of it when I got a break.

Recah rubbed my back. "You feel better, bud?"

"Okay."

Noah came into the kitchen. "Hey."

Recah raised an eyebrow.

"Duke let me in." His face got red. "Hannah asked me to bring his brother something."

"Oh?" Recah put her sandwich down. "What is it?"

"She didn't tell me..."

I got up.

"Do you know where your brother is?" Recah asked me.

I nodded, so Noah followed me. Unless he woke up, Ain should still be in his and T's room.

Ain came out of his room right when we got close to his door. "Hey, Noah."

Noah pulled a little bottle out of his bag. "Hannah asked me to give you this."

"Did she tell you what it was for?"