Episode 4: The Night Before

As I often did after dinner, I went to the throne room

As I often did after dinner, I went to the throne room. Surprisingly, it was my most private space. Our staff had a light workload since this place wasn't truly up and running yet. Since I shared a room with Phoenix, that wasn't very private either.

Anyway, I often went to the throne room. It was the best place for me to think. Only Leon and my brothers set foot in here when I was in here as the others seemed hesitant to do so.

Today, Leon followed me. He must've wanted to discuss matters he needed to consult me on before I left for Earth. That was important to him. Even before I was really old enough to give an opinion, he would ask Little Brother for his opinion.

That showed me he was the best person to leave in charge. I imagine there were many people who would relish in that sort of power. Leon wasn't one of them.

I sat in my throne. "Is there something you'd like to discuss, Leon?"

"Would you like to leave anything for your subjects before you go?" He had his hands behind his back.

"Like what?" I asked.

"The chambers are yours. Your mother charmed the door the day after her mother left them. As such it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to do the same before you leave."

I fought to keep a neutral expression. "How could I do that? Wouldn't most take that poorly?"

"On the contrary, Princess. The adults would take it as a promise to return and as a time to accept the loss of Her Majesty. They could've robbed those old enough to remember her of that opportunity."

"But they could use it to mourn her all the same."

"Many will likely ask for pictures of your door. Many mothers and young women look forward to photo of those sorts of things." He smiled. "In any case, do you have any message you'd like to me to pass on to your subjects?"

I drew a long breath. "Yes, I would."

Behind his back, he had a pen and paper, not that I expected any less from him.

"Thank you, Leon. You're dismissed."

"Thank you, Princess."

"Time waits for no one. One must always prepare a message. A message must be written as nearly as one can. Can I have a writing surface?"

A table appeared between the arms of my throne, and I began to write.

People of Engrada, I have longed to speak to you for so long. A time of great change is coming. My mother, Queen Cecelia Cunningham's reign ended long ago. Those who took her place brought about unpleasant change.

I have no intention of being this way. I intend to restore our kingdom to what it once was and hopefully improve upon it. However, I am not ready to take that place.