Chapter Thirty-Seven

There are a few lewd words later in the chapter and obviously what happens at the end of s2, so be cautioned.

Tommy hardly slept in general, only getting a few hours each night and despite how crazy his day had been, he tossed and turned all night in the guest room. Josephine's presence had always been able to make him sleep better and he didn't realise the effect she had until she returned and moved in with him, with her, he had no need for opium to help him sleep.

Despite having things to do, Tommy didn't leave first thing in the morning, he knew he had to make things right with Josephine. He, as per usual was up before her and he didn't miss the surprised look on her face when she saw him when she walked into the dining room for breakfast.

"I'm surprised you're still here, usually you would be out at the crack of dawn when you don't have to drop me off" Josephine commented as she sat down in her usual seat and poured herself a cup of tea.

"I wanted to speak to you." Tommy folded up his newspaper.

"Yeah?"

"You were right about getting involved with the Italians, we already have enough on our plate with the Russians." Tommy apologised, "I'm sorry."

Josephine looked up at him and let out a small sigh, "Working for the government is one thing but feuding with gangs is another. The Changretta's will take revenge for burning down their pubs and blinding Angel"

"I know but I won't go begging for forgiveness."

"I know" Josephine sent him a tiny smile, "I just want you to be careful."

Tommy took one last gulp of his tea before he stood up from his chair, he went over to Josephine's and pressed a kiss to her cheek, "I will."

"Leaving already?" Josephine questioned

"Hmm, got work to do."

"I'll see you later then? I'll be busy with organizing this damn foundation dinner all day."

Tommy pecked her on the lips, "I've got a present for you and I'll give it to you this evening."

"A present?"

"Tonight."

After one last kiss, Tommy was off, leaving Josephine to wonder what her gift was but she couldn't think about it for long as she had to finish off planning.

Josephine vowed never to plan a party or dinner again, it was the most stressful and infuriating thing she had ever done and doing it once was more than enough for her. She luckily had the housekeepers to keep her sane, providing her with tea and snacks and helping sort through guest lists and invitations and as the clock approached ten pm, she was finally done.

As soon as she sat down and relaxed on the couch, the front door swung open and Tommy walked in. He immediately found her in the living room and Josephine could immediately tell he had a bad day.

"Long day?" She asked

"Something like that" Tommy pressed a kiss to her cheek. "How was yours?"

"Long but not as bad yours, I'm guessing." Josephine cupped his face with her hand and ran her thumb over his cheek.

"Let me go get your present, alright?"

"If you're too tired then don't worry about it."

"I'm fine." Tommy pressed a kiss to her palm before he left.

When he returned, he told her to close her eyes and she felt him place something around her neck and when she opened her eyes and looked down, she saw a large sapphire connected to a chain.