Chapter Seven

The next morning, on the day of the races, Josephine woke before Tommy, which was rare and spent the time until he woke up, playing with his hair and admiring his face, making the most out of the time she spent with him, even if he was not awake and when Tommy woke up with a gasp, his eyes shooting wide open, Josephine flinched in shock before an understanding look came over her face and she brushed her fingers over his face, tracing over his features as the two laid there for awhile, in silence, looking at each other.

"You need to shave." Josephine said, as she traced over his jaw.

Tommy didn't say anything, he just pushed his face into her palm. Josephine smiled, tapping his face with her fingers before sitting up and leaving the bed,

"C'mon, I'll make us some tea and help you shave." She said as she left the bedroom. Tommy didn't respond, his eyes following her as she left before stretching and sitting up.

Josephine came back upstairs not long after with a teacup in each hand, placing them on the bedside table before quickly running out again but when she returned, she was carefully carrying a bowl of steaming water, placing it on their dresser.

"Where do you wanna sit?" She asked him as she walked to the other side of the room and began collecting the straight razor, shaving cream and a cloth before moving back to the dresser and seeing that Tommy had already gotten his face wet and sat on the edge of the bed with his shirt off and tossed into the corner of the room.

"Why are you so quiet for me today hmm?" Josephine asked Tommy as she started to apply the shaving cream to his face, "Just stunned into silence by your beauty" he responded, throwing her a cheeky grin, one of his hands lifting to hold her by her waist and the other grasping the back of her thigh, Josephine only sniggered in response, which caused Tommy to smile, his eyes never leaving her face.

As they sat like that, Tommy knew that he loved Josephine but he couldn't deny the appeal of Grace or deny the fact that he did feel attracted to her and he knew that Josephine didn't deserve that, he couldn't stop and a part of him didn't want to stop either.

When Josephine was done, the two of them separated to get themselves ready, Tommy had finished when Josephine was doing her makeup,

"Be ready in twenty minutes," he told her, briefly checking the time on his watch before heading towards the door, "I'll be back, I have to pick something up."

"Grace?" She asked him, turning away from the mirror to raise an eyebrow at him. Tommy didn't react at her question, making her believe that Grace had told Tommy that she had already told Josephine about him taking her and not sparing her another look, he left the room, shouting 'twenty-minutes' before slamming the front door closed.

Josephine closed her eyes and sighed in frustration, it felt like everyday that Tommy was getting further and further away from her and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't bring him back to her. No matter how many close and intimate moments they have, something is still pushing them away from each other and in Josephine's mind, that something had a name and that name was Grace Burgess.

Finishing her makeup, Josephine slipped on her dress, grabbed her purse and made her way downstairs to slip on her heels, as she checked herself over in the mirror she heard Tommy make his way indoors and pause, leaning in the doorway, admiring her,

"You look gorgeous." He told her

"Did you tell Grace the same thing?" She replied, looking away from the mirror and facing him and all he did was raise his eyebrows at her causing her to roll her eyes and grab her shawl, moving to walk past him and to the door when he stood up straight and moved to stand in front of her, blocking her way and lent in close, staring intently at her and whispered to her,