Chapter Four

Josephine watched from their shared bed as Tommy got ready for a day at the fair with his brothers, she was slightly jealous as she loved the fair and hadn't been since before the war but she had to stay behind in Small Heath to help her father out with their store. She walked on the bed with her knees until she was at the end of it and close to Tommy, she reached over and did up his top button for him, "Bring me back some sweets yeah?",

Tommy gave her a look, "Josey...you run a sweet store with your father"

"And?" Josephine asked climbing off the bed and following him as he walked downstairs, "it's not the same is it?"

Tommy reached for his coat that was hanging by the door before facing her, "How is it not?"

"It's just not, Tommy" Josephine smiled at him and he smiled back before walking to her to give her a goodbye kiss. He turned to walk to the door hearing Josephine's footsteps behind him, giving her one more kiss, he walked to his car,

"Say hello to Johnny Dogs for me!...and don't forget my sweeties" Josephine yelled from the doorway, laughing as Tommy sent her a wink before speeding off.

"Tommy!" Johnny Dogs cheered as Tommy stepped out of the car.

"Johnny Dogs" Tommy greeted back.

"Tommy, how the hell are ya?" Johnny asked, climbing up the small hill to the boys.

"All the better for getting the city smoke out of me lungs"

"I thought you became a bit too grand for us" Johnny said, his Irish accent clear as day.

"I've been busy." Tommy replied, lighting a cigarette.

"I'm riding with the Lee family now"

"I heard. Myself, I'd rather live with pigs", Tommy looked at the Lee boys with disgust.

"Come on, Tommy. No disputing." said Johnny Dogs, trying to prevent a fight. "So, your first fair since France?"

"What do you know about France, you war-shy Gypsy bastard?" Tommy answered his eyes following the white horse that was walked past him.

"So this is the horse?" He asked, walking up to it to get a better look.

Johnny had a small smile on his face, "And that's the car."

Tommy walked over to the horse, looking it over. Running his hand over it and lifting one of its legs to check it over while Johnny Dogs walked over to the car to do his own inspection.

"You're not swapping the family car for a bloody horse." Arthur angrily questions

"Of course we're not swapping it. Ah. That'll be mad" Johnny says walking back to the group

"We're going to play two-up" Tommy explains to Arthur.

Tommy and Johnny dogs flipped their coins up into the air and they landed they bent down to see what side they landed on, satisfied they picked their coins up before spitting into their hands and shaking them. Tommy handed Johnny the keys to the car.

"I knew it." Arthur was angry, "I knew it. Tommy you bloody idiot."

"Shut up, Arthur, I won." Tommy interrupted Arthur before he could go on a rant. "I promised Johnny, I'd let him have a spin in the car if he lost" He continued motioning Johnny towards the car with his head.

The Lee boys were laughing at Arthur's embarrassment and Tommy wasn't having that.

"Are you Lee boys laughing at my brother?" He asked, walking towards them. "Are ya? Eh? I asked you a question."