Chapter Two

Walking into the betting shop Josephine took a seat next to Polly greeting her with a quick 'Hello' and a kiss on the cheek along with flashing Ada a quick smile, Polly offers her a cigarette which she declines with a shake of her head. Arthur finally speaks up from where he's standing in the front of the room by the table,

"Right. I've called this family meeting because I've got some very important news. Scud-boat and Lovelock got back from Belfast last night. They were buying a stallion to cover their mares."

Arthur motions towards the two men beside who nod in agreement before he continues on. "They were in a pub on Shankhill Road yesterday and in that pub there was a copper, handing out these" He says pulling out some flyers and handing one to Ada which was quickly snatched out of her hands by John and gave to rest to Scud-boat to distribute amongst the room.

"If you're over five feet and can fight, come to Birmingham" John read out before handing the flyer to his Aunt Pol. Josephine peered over Polly's shoulder as they both read over the flyer and it contents.

"They're recruiting Protestant Irishmen to come over here as Specials." Arthur summarises as he sees everyone's confused expressions.

"To do what?" Ada asks, puzzled.

"To clean up the city, Ada." Tommy announces as he receives a flyer himself. "He's the Chief Inspector. The last four years he's been clearing the IRA out of Belfast."

Josephine's head turned towards Tommy, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Josephine wasn't dumb, she's known the Shelby's since before she could even speak so she knows what they do, she knows why they have razor blades sewn in their caps and while she was not a part of the official gang she still knew everything that went on with the Peaky Blinders so that's why she confused about why she was hearing about this Chief Inspector for the first time. Though seeing everyone else's expressions calmed her as it reassured her that Tommy wasn't deliberately not telling her stuff, something he tended to do to keep her 'safe'.

"How do you know so bloody much?" Arthur asked.

" 'Cause I asked the coppers on our payroll."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Arthur asked his anger building.

"I'm telling you" Tommy replied. The brothers stared each other down, their eyes still locked as Arthur took a swig from his flask.

"So why are they sending him to Birmingham?" Polly asks, breaking the stare down between the two brothers.

"There's been all these bloody strikes at the BSA and the Austen works lately. Now the papers are talking about sedition and revolution. I reckon it's communists he's after." Josephine noticed Ada's body language changing at the mention of the BSA and the communists and tried to catch her eye but Ada was purposely avoiding looking at her.

"So this copper is gonna leave us alone, right? Polly asked, looking at Tommy for confirmation.

"There are Irishmen in Green Lanes who left Belfast to get away from him. They say Catholic men who crossed him used to disappear in the night." Tommy responded to her. Josephine frowned at the description of this man, she didn't like the sound of him, to her he sounded like trouble.

"Yeah, but we ain't IRA. We bloody fought for the king." John spoke up bringing the attention of the room to him. "Anyway, we're Peaky Blinders. We're not scared of coppers."

"He's right." Arthur agreed.

"If they come for us, we'll cut them a smile each." John continued and Josephine rolled her eyes at the man.

"So Arthur, is that it?" Tommy asks his elder brother.

Arthur looks to his aunt instead of answering Tommy directly, "What do you think, Aunt Pol?"