Chapter 28~Better

I woke up in Mateo's bed and smiled a little at the fact that Alex would bring me here.I climbed out of the bed and did my morning routine before grabbing one of Mateo's pullover hoodies and snapping myself to my room.I did my mascara and put on lip gloss before tying my hair up.I pulled on a pair of leggings and a black nike sports bra before putting on Mateo's hoodie.I walked out of the bedroom and started to head for the front door when I saw Kenzie.

"Hi Kenzie." I said softly.She turned around to face me and her eyes widened slightly.

"Hey." She said cautiously as she slowly walked up to me.

"Kenzie I'm sorry." I blurted out.She smiled and wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

"It's okay." She said tightening her grip on me.

"No it's not." I said as tears started to run down my cheeks.

"Phoenix it is.You've been through a lot and I might not know what it's like to lose a mate but I do know what it's like to lose people you care about.It's okay and you'll be okay." She said pulling away from me and giving me a small smile.I smiled back and hugged her again before we pulled away from each other.

"Where are you going?" She asked looking at my clothes.

"For a run.It's something I used to do before all of this." I said softly.

"Can I come?" She asked smiling.

"Sure." I said nodding my head.

"Tag." She said tapping my arm and running out of the house.I giggled and chased after her with a smile on my face.

"Where were you guys?" Luca asked as we stepped back into the house.

"We went for a run." Kenzie said wrapping her arm around me and smiling.

"For two hours?" He asked looking between the two of us.

"Yes." I said pulling Mateo's sweater off.

"Why?Were you looking for us?" Kenzie asked walking up to him.He smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist before softly kissing her lips.

"I missed you." He mumbled pulling away from her.I smiled and turned to walk away from them only for the moon goddess to be standing there.

"How are you feeling?" She asked softly.

"Better I guess." I said slowly walking up to her.

"I made you something." She said nervously.

"Why?" I asked cautiously.

"I didn't get you anything for your birthday." She admitted.I frowned and shook my head.

"You didn't need to get me anything." I said softly.She smiled and snapped her fingers.

"I know but I wanted to.I hope you like it." She said pointing behind me.I turned around to see a tarp covering something that was floating in the air and I slowly walked up to it.I pulled the tarp off and smiled a little at the crystal heart floating in the air.I reached for it and gently took it as I read the engraving.

"Mateo, Phoenix, and Alex forever and always." I read softly as I traced the words.I hadn't realized I was crying until a teardrop landed on the heart.I wiped the tears off of the heart and from my cheeks.

"I love it." I said smiling brightly at her.

"Are you sure?I can get you something else." She said looking between me and the heart.I hugged it to my chest and shook my head with a bright smile.

"It's beautiful and I love it." I said wiping the tears off of my cheeks.I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you." I whispered.She hugged me back tightly and softly rubbed my back.We let go of each other and she smiled at me before walking off.I snapped my fingers and it disappeared from my hands to my room.

"Hey beautiful." Alex said from behind me.

"Hey." I said turning to face him.He smiled and held his hand out for me to take.I smiled back and took his hand in mine.

"Are you ready?" He asked leading me to the kitchen with Kenzie and Luca close behind us.

"For what?" I asked playing dumb.I started to walk around the kitchen pulling out random stuff to keep myself busy.

"To go see Mateo." Kenzie said softly.

"Phoenix." Alex said trying to catch my attention.I ignored him and started to make breakfast.I froze as Alex wrapped his arms around me and held my hands.

"Phoenix." He repeated softly.I bit my lip and slowly turned around to face him.I kept my eyes on his chest and took a deep breath.

"Phoenix if you never go see him how will you get closure?" Kenzie asked walking to my side.I shook my head and looked down at my shoes.

"Phoenix you're ready." Alex said softly.

"No I'm not." I whispered shaking my head.

"Yes you are baby.We'll be there the whole time I promise.You won't go through this alone." Alex said tilting my head up to look at him and giving me a reassuring smile.

"Breakfast is ready." I mumbled turning around.I started to plate the food and gently moved Alex's arm out of the way.I walked up to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of orange juice and poured it in seperate cups for everybody.Everybody grabbed a plate and silently sat around the island as we began to eat.

"Goodmorning." The Don said walking in with a smile.

"Goodmorning." We all said in union.

"There's breakfast for you too." I said softly.

"Thank you." He said smiling brightly.He gently kissed the top of my head and grabbed a plate of food before joining us.I grabbed my plate and cup and put them in the sink before taking a deep breath.

"I'll go see him." I whispered turning around to face them.

"Are you sure?" Kenzie asked softly.

"Yeah." I said nodding my head.

"What made you change your mind?" She asked putting her own plate in the sink.

"I have to say goodbye." I said softly.She wrapped her arms tightly around me and sighed.

"You're going to be okay." She whispered.

"Yeah everybody keeps telling me that." I joked as I fought back tears.She gave me a weak smile as we pulled away.