Chapter 5~Red Velvet Cake

"Mateo is not my mate Alex is." I said firmly.

"He was supposed to be your mate from day one until Michael screwed it all up.You can imagine my anger when I found out." The Don said angrily.

"What do you mean?" Kenzie asked grabbing my hand under the table.I looked up at Mateo but he looked just as confused as I did.

"Michael Carson realized he screwed up when he couldn't find you.So he did some digging on your family and found out you were related to the moon goddess then he decided it was okay to screw me over." He said calmly.

"The moon goddess?" Luca asked looking at me as if it was impossible for me to be related to her.I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the Don.

"He found a witch who agreed to do a summoning spell for a price." He said chuckling as if he knew something I didn't.

"What was the price?" I asked softly.

"He had to give up his wolf." He said smirking.

"That's how he lost his wolf?" I asked softly.He nodded his head and clapped his hands.The chefs stepped out again except this time with desert.The chefs brought out a red velvet cake and I looked at the Don curiously.

"My son told me red velvet is your favorite flavor cake." He said smiling.

"Why?" Kenzie asked as she ate some of it.

"She wouldn't talk to anybody in the pack including me.So I bugged her every night and every day until she spoke at least one word to me but she refused.I'd even tell her my best jokes but she'd look at me like I was crazy.I'd follow her around talking to her-well really myself since she never responded.That went on for a good year." He said with a distant smile.

"My parents anniversary came around and I spent the whole day in my room crying.It was usually a day we all spent together and that year it was just me.There was a really bad storm that day and now that I know what I can do I'm pretty sure it was me.But back then it felt like the sky was crying with me.There was a knock on my door late afternoon and it didn't take a genius to know it was Mateo coming to mess with me.I ignored him hoping that he would get the message and go away but of course he just would not take the hint.I opened the door to tell him to go away and there he was soaking wet in his pajamas holding a red velvet cake." I said softly.

"Nobody knew what was wrong until I contacted Don and he told me about her parents.We announced it to the pack and told everyone to leave her alone for the day though we were mostly talking to Mateo.Mateo ran straight out of the front door in his pajamas to go buy her that cake and that's when we knew." The Luna said with a small smile.

"That's the day we became inseparable." Mateo said softly.I looked up from the cake to look at Mateo to see him already looking at me with a small smile.

"Tell me more about Michael and the moon goddess please." I said looking at the Don.Kenzie took a bite of the cake next to me and moaned happily.Luca tensed on the other side of me and ran a hand through his hair.

"Merda." He mumbled releasing a shaky breath(shit).I turned to look at Kenzie and she winked telling me she knew exactly what she was doing.

"The witch summended the moon goddess and Michael told her to change your mate.He said that you had enough hardships in your life and didn't need to be the mate of a Don-to-be.That you should be mated to his son who was going to be Alpha of his pack.What he didn't add in was that he was an ancestor of the beast.He played her like a fiddle." He said shaking his head.

"That's not true." I whispered shaking my head.The Don opened his mouth to speak but I was already out of my chair and running out of the room.

"Phoenix!" Kenzie yelled from behind me.I ran past the guards who were guarding the front door and jumped off the stairs.I could hear running footsteps behind me but I didn't stop to see who it was.I ran up to the fountain and sat down on it before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.Tears started to run down my cheeks as everything he had told me started to run through my mind.I slowly opened my eyes to see everybody outside and staring at me curiously.

"Why didn't you run?" Kenzie asked the question everybody wanted to know the answer to.She walked up to me and sat down besides me.

"And leave you here alone?I would never." I said softly.She smiled and took my hand in hers before squeezing gently.

"I know you can hear me." I said looking up at the sky.I slowly stood up and took a shaky breath.

"Come down here-now." I said calmly.A white light went off making me close my eyes and when I opened them again the moon goddess was standing in front of me with a smile and her arms opened for a hug.

"Phoenix your safe." She said walking up to me.

"Don't." I whispered shaking my head and taking a step back.

"What's wrong?" She asked softly.She looked around taking everybody in and took a deep breath.

"Maybe we should go inside." Kenzie said pointing at the sky.I looked up to see a storm starting and slowly nodded my head as I took her hand and we all followed her inside.The Don started to walk ahead and we followed after him silently but I could see the moon goddess wanted to say something to me from the corner of my eye.We walked into the living room but this was the one room I didn't have the time to stop and study.I sat the farthest away from the moon goddess and closed my eyes as I waited for her to talk.

"What do you know?" She asked.I slowly opened my eyes and turned my head to look at her.

"Tell me everything about you and Michael." I said softly.