Chapter 4~Mateo

I turned towards the top of the stairs to see Mateo standing at the top of it.I looked between the two of them wide eyed and took a deep breath.

"Mateo tell me this is a joke." I whispered as I stood up.Mateo looked at me sadly as he made his way down the stairs.

"Phoenix I asked him not to do this." He pleaded as he walked up to me.He reached for me and I jerked away from him.

"You knew this was going to happen?" I asked softly.My voice cracked as I fought back tears.

"Phoenix just listen to me please." He begged trying to reach for me again.I shook my head as tears started to run down my cheeks.I sat back down in my seat and pathetically wiped at the tears even though they continued to fall.

"I've been down in the dungeon getting tortured and where were you Mateo?" I asked as I watched him walk to his seat.I watched as his eyes hardened as he took in my bruises.

"Chi cazzo l'ha toccata?" He growled angrily as he turned towards his father(who the fuck touched her).

"L'ho fatto." Luca said smirking at him(I did).Before anybody knew what was happening Mateo leaped over the table and grabbed Luca by his neck.Kenzie gasped and quickly stood up.

"Il tuo compagno?" Mateo asked looking from Kenzie to Luca(your mate).Luca smirked and slowly looked Kenzie up and down before nodding his head.Mateo punched Luca making his head turn on impact.I stood up as I looked between them wondering what they were fighting about.Luca threw a punch at Mateo but Mateo moved before it could connect.He swung on Luca again hitting him in his eye and making him fall to the ground.Kenzie gasped again and took my arm and squeezed it tightly.

"Mateo stop." The Don said as Mateo started to punch on Luca repeatedly.Mateo growled at the Don and kept punching Luca.

"He's going to kill him." Kenzie said softly.I took her hand off my arm and slowly walked up to Mateo.

"Mateo stop it."I said calmly.He ignored me and kept punching on Luca.I took a deep breath as I stopped by his side.

"Mateo please stop."I said as I gently touched his shoulder.He grabbed my hand and spun me around slamming my back into the wall.My breath caught in my throat on impact and I bit my lip hard to hold in a gasp.He buried his head in the crook of my neck and wrapped his arms around my waist.I closed my eyes and slowly wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry.I'm sorry they took you away from your mate, I'm sorry they tortured you and I wasn't there to save you.I'm so so sorry." He whispered tightening his grip on me.

"Where were you?"I croaked as I sobbed in his shoulder.

"I didn't know baby I didn't know.They locked me in my room and I couldn't get out.I swear I didn't know you were here.I begged him not to go through with this-not to take you away from your happy life because you deserve to be happy for once." He said pulling his head back to look into my eyes.He took his hands from around my waist and wiped the tears off of my cheeks even though they kept on falling.Kenzie slowly walked up to Luca with a wet napkin in her hand.He was sitting against the wall with his eyes closed but I could tell he knew she was walking up to him.He slowly opened his eyes as she stopped in front of him.

"Cosa vuoi, bello?" He asked softly.(What are you doing beautiful?)She looked over at me before turning her attention back on Luca and slowly reaching for his face.He caught her hand and she tensed as she looked up at him in his eyes.He slowly let her hand go and she started to wipe the blood off his face.It looked like she was holding her breath while he was just studying her.I looked back at Mateo to see him already looking at me.

"I promised to always protect you, remember?" He asked wiping the remaining tears off of my cheeks.I slowly nodded my head as I bit my lip.

"I remember." I said softly.

"Eri nella gabbia proprio accanto alla sua il giorno in cui sei arrivato." Luca said keeping his eyes on Kenzie(You were in the cage right next to hers the day she got here).

"Che cosa?" Mateo asked pulling away from me and looking at Luca.(What?)

"What's wrong?" I asked softly.Kenzie got up and came by my side.

"He was right next to us when we first got here." She said softly.

"You speak italian?" I asked making a goofy face.

"Yes." She said softly shoving my shoulder.

"We'll talk later." I said looking at her suspiciously.She laughed and rolled her eyes in response making me smile because this was the happiest I had seen her.

"Phoenix." Mateo said softly and taking my hand in his.I shook my head and pulled my hand away before sitting back down.Kenzie stood by Luca's side and they walked back to her seat.He pushed her seat in before returning to his own seat.

"How do you know that I loved him?" I asked giving the Don my attention.

"I've been married twice.The first time was an arranged marriage and we couldn't stand each other.This time I found my wife my mate and we've been together for cinquanta years.I know." He said giving me a small smile(50).

"Maybe I did but I have a mate now.Your married to yours how can you take me away from mine?" I asked softly.

"Mateo was meant to be your mate." The Don growled angrily.