Part 59

Donghyuck paced around the room, his mind preoccupied with many thoughts

Donghyuck paced around the room, his mind preoccupied with many thoughts. He outright ignored the girl who sat on his bed as she fidgetted with her fingers anxiously, unable to even look at the boy.

Naeun was beyond hurt. She felt like her heart had shattered into a million tiny pieces, each more painful than the last. Although the window of the room was open, letting fresh air rush inside, she still felt suffocated.

But of course she wouldn't let that show and instead took a deep breath. "Let's break up."

Donghyuck halted in his step, surprised by what he had just heard. As his head slowly turned to look at Naeun, he felt the shock and sadness gush through his veins. He did not know why he felt so hurt by these simple words that he actually expected were to come.

"What?" He only managed to blurt out, feeling disoriented.

Naeun took a deep breath, trying to fight the ball that formed in her throat. "Let's end this meaningless relationship we have." 

Meaningless. She had called everything meaningless.

But that's how it seemed to Naeun. Despite all the laughs and cries they had during their short-lived friendship and relationship, she always saw him looking the other way at her twin sister. And although she tried to not let it get to her head, it did. That's why she thought that breaking up would be the best way to redeem her feelings and manage to get over him peacefully.

"I did everything I could, so I have no regrets." The girl stood up, still unable to look him in the eyes.

Lies.

They both knew those were lies.

"But you still like her. So I will stop bothering you from now on." She managed to say everything confidently, which surprised her.

Donghyuck was speechless, the words dawning on him. His mind felt blank and even he did not know what he was feeling.

Naeun forced a light smile before she finally managed to make eye contact with him.

"I wish you all the best, Donghyuck." 

And without another word, the girl passed by him and left out of the door.

Donghyuck felt his body become numb as he stood there for a few minutes, unable to function properly. He did not know what to do and he felt like his heart was at war with his head and conscience. 

He liked Haeun, not Naeun.

And that's what made him act rashly as he turned around and also rushed out of the door. But instead of looking for his now ex-girlfriend who was nowhere in sight, he stumbled upon her twin who was casually walking down the corridor.

"Haeun!" Donghyuck yelled out, catching her attention. She smiled wildly as he ran up to her, his heart beating furiously.

"Hey, what's up?" Her voice was soft as she looked up at him with curiousity.

"I..." The boy began, beginning to get nervous. Finally, he swallowed before finally confessing. "I like you." 

He watched as Haeun's expression slowly dropped from happy, to confused. Her mouth parted open, shocked as to what she just heard.

"W-what?" She blurted out, unable to process. Donghyuck took a deep breath.

"I like-"

"I'm sorry." Her voice became stricter as she looked up at him, thoughts swarming her head.

And although Donghyuck was indeed hurt by the rejection, he felt conflicted. He did not feel as terrible as he imagined. Instead he felt... relieved. And then a wave of emotions hit him hard as the realization dawned on him.

Who his heart truly belonged to. 

And the huge mistake he had made.

Haeun was about to begin questioning him about everything, yet the boy quickly ran off and down the stairs, ignoring her calls. Panting, he ran into the living room finding his friends there.

"Have you seen Naeun by any chance?" He asked panicked, his eyes darting around the room to find anyone with answers. The guys looked towards each other, confused.

"I thought you were with her?" Mark asked.

"I know, but-"

Loud stomps at the door indicated that someone else came in. Donghyuck barely had time to turn around before his head was suddenly thrown to the side as someone punched him in the cheek with such brutal force that he stumbled. The people in the room all gasped, some getting up.

"Jisung!" Jaemin yelled out horrified, seeing the younger's deadly expression.

"Jisung, are you crazy?!" Haeun, who just came into the room, called out. But the boy did not seem fazed as he looked towards Donghyuck who had a hand on his cheek.

"That was for me..." Jisung hissed through gritted teeth, the pure fury displayed by his every word and action. "And this..."

He then punched Donghyuck again, but this time in the stomach making the other hunch over with an audible groan. "This was for Naeun, you fucking piece of shit." 

Everyone in the room was speechless and watched as Donghyuck slowly rose, facing the younger boy with a pained expression. Jisung was still panting, glaring right into the other's eyes. 

"I deserved that." Donghyuck breathed out, licking his slightly bloodied lips. "But don't worry. This made me realize something. I got to go." 

There was a shocked silence as the boy patted the younger on the shoulder before running off.

Hyuck finally got his shit together, dang