CHAPTER 1: Extreme Ends

"Hon!" Excited na sigaw ng asawa ng daddy ni Kara nang lumabas ito ng banyo. Hawak nito ang pregnancy test kit kung saan kitang-kita ang dalawang linya. Natupad na ang pangarap nito na mabuntis pagkatapos ng dalawang taon na paghihintay. Sa wakas ay nabuntis na din ito. Hindi biro ang gamutan na pinagdaanan nito makamit lamang matagal na niyang hiling.

Halos magkasabay lamang silang lumabas ng dalaga, kagigising lang ni Kara mula sa mahimbing na tulog nang marinig niya ang nakakabulabog na tili nito. Isa iyong magandang balita, pero hindi para sa kanya. Muli, magkakaroon na naman siya ng panibagong  kapatid. Kapapanganak lang ng mommy niya noong isang buwan. Ngayon naman ay ang daddy na niya ang magkakaroon ng anak. Mainam sana kung isa pa silang buong pamilya kagaya ng dati. Masaya at buong pamilya tulad ng nakasanayan niya ng maraming taon. Ngunit isa na lamang pangarap iyon, dahil ang dating masaya at buong pamilya ni Kara ay may kanya-kanya ng pamilya ngayon.

Pinipilit niyang maging normal ang buhay niya sa bawat araw. Sinusubukan niyang intindihin ang bawat anggulo ng buhay na meron siya. Kung bakit sa isang iglap ay nagbago ang lahat pero hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin niya mapagtanto kung paano nasira at naglaho ang akala niya ay matibay na pundasyon ng pamilya nila.

"Congratulations Rachel, good for you. You and Dad deserved it." She said in saracastic tone.

Rachel and her mother were both in their forty's but she never called her with respect and endearment. Kara always treated her stepmother as someone her age despite of all the love Rachel showered her.

"Don't speak to your Mom like that Kara!"

"She's not my Mom! She's your wife, but it doesn't mean she can be my mother. She will never be. I don't have a Mom! She's dead!" Kara get back to his father with raging eyes as always.

A strong slap landed on her face for the first time. She kept on saying those words for three years. That her Mom is dead even she's not. Her wrath against her mother having an affair is far beyond forgiveness. It is the reason why she chose to stay with her father after they got separated. She thought that they would be okay and live a normal life. That they could be still a family even without her Mom. Not until her father fell in love with Rachel and got married.

"Anak, I'm sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya. Kara..." Tumulo ang luha ng daddy niya nang makita ang anak na mapaluha. Sa loob ng tatlong taon, kahit minsan hindi niya ito nakitang umiyak. Alam niya kung gaano ito nasasaktan pero hindi iyon pinapakita ni Kara. Palagi lamang niyang itinatago ang lungkot. Nagpapanggap na malakas kahit sa totoo lang ay durog na durog na siya.

Kara grew up seeing how much her Mom and Dad loved each other. She always tells herself that if one day she'll have a family of her own, it will be like the family she has. A family build with so much trust and love. Back then she believed that love conquers everything, that love is the greatest gift a human can ever have in their lifetime.

It has been three years since her parents decided to separate. Things went fast. One day, she just woke up that her Mom and Dad had their own family. She is not a kid anymore, a seventeen-year old lady should understand how life works, but she couldn't. It's too painful causing her to gradually destroy her life. She had been to countless schools in three years for being repeatedly expelled. She had learned to develop vices such as drinking and smoking. Not just cigarettes, but she also tried illicit drugs once. She rarely goes to school and she often involved herself in to troubles and fights.

"Kara, anak...please open the door. Mag-usap tayo, I am so sorry. Daddy didn't mean to hurt you. Nabigla lang ako. Please Kara..." Paulit-ulit na katok ng daddy niya pero hindi niya ito pinagbuksan ng pinto.

"Give her time. Her mom just give birth a month ago, then here we are giving her another sibling. It is too much to take. I know how she felt, how devastated she is. Kara felt like she lost you, the only person she thought she have. When I came in to your life, she felt that half of you was lost. Now we are having a baby, she felt like nothing was left. She lost her mom, and now she totally lost her dad. I know what she's going through, I've been there." Rachel comforted her husband.