CHAPTER 81: Official

"Hay! Kainis! Ngayon pa talaga may nag-arrest! Hindi ba pwedeng bukas na lang? Pati pasyente, nang-aagaw ng moment ko kay Drew." Napabuntong hininga na lang si Kara nang umalis ang binata.

It was a call of duty. No matter how romantic the moment was, patient is patient. Patient is the first priority.

She jumped out of the bed to help, but a complete member of arrest team is already inside the cubicle. Drake as a compressor, Nympha holding the ambubag and making sure that she had open the airway correctly, Arylle pressing the bag at the end of each thirty compression, Madelaine on the defibrillator, Melissa giving the medication and Drew as the team leader.

Ace always remind them not to overcrowd the place everytime they have an arrest. Five to six people is enough to run a code. They just have to focus and relax to avoid mistakes.

That's right Drew...chill...you and Gian can really run a code without me.

Ace was watching from the other cubicle. He's so happy that his residents this year were a team full of enthusiasm and dedication. Two of them can follow his footsteps in a matter of time.

"Allergic reaction dok! Pagkatapos kong ibigay yung diclofenac I.M. bigla na-"

"Diclofenac?" Putol ni Drew sa kanya.

"I didn't order diclofenac for this patient. He has asthma. Sino nag-order nun?" Tanong ni Drew kay Arylle.

Hindi nakapagsalita ang dalaga, pero ang mga mata niya ay nakatuon kay Drake. Nagkatitigan silang dalawa na para bang gustong protektahan ang bawat isa.

"Mali siguro yung order na-"

"Ako ang nag-order nun, it's my fault Drew. Don't blame Arylle, this patient wanted to go home and refused for I.V. Acetaminophen. Kakilala ko siya, he approached me. I didn't check his history. It's my-" Hingal na sabi ni Drake habang nagpapakawala ng chest compression.

"Switch position Arylle, Drake is already exhausted. Do pulse check Nympha." May kalakasan ang pagkakasabi ni Drew para putulin ang pagpapaliwanag ng binata.

Mabilis namang nakipagpalitan ng posisyon si Arylle kay Drake. Si Nympha naman ay sinunod ang utos ni Drew pero mabilis na umiling.

Drew ignored his explanation, he just focused on the rythms and closed the curtain behind them. He make sure that no one heard what had Drake said.

"PEA dok." Madelaine said calmly because the patient had no pulse but there was a rhythm on the monitor.

"Continue chest compression."

Kalmadong sabi ni Drew habang nag-iisip ng malalim.

"The patient received one dose of epinephrine subcutaneous. I ordered it myself. Ako din ang nagbigay. I also gave one liter of normal saline."

Singit naman ni Melissa, tumango lang si Drew habang pinagmamasdan at inoobserbahan ang pasyente.

"I will try to do crash intubation, I think his airway-"

"No, you can't Drake. Nasaan si kuya Ace?" Putol ni Drew sabay silip sa kurtina. Everyone was busy attending patients. Hindi niya makita kung nasaan ba si Ace. Sinubukan niya itong tawagan pero hindi nito marinig ang ringing tone niya sa loob ng ER.

Damn it! Asan ka ba kuya?

He was a little bit anxious when he didn't locate Ace. He couldn't see senior doctor as well. They were all R1 and for the record, he was the only one who had done that procedure with Ace's supervision.

"I think he needs emergency tracheostomy, there is a visible laryngeal swelling. I can't visualize the-"

"That's why I told you can't intubate him. He has severe anaphylactic shock Drake." Mabilis na putol ni Drew sa kanya sabay bukas ng pinakaibabang parte sa intubation trolley.