T H I R T Y - T W O

There was a knock on my door.

I looked up from my homework to see Nikita standing at the door. I immediately noticed her puffy eyes and red nose.

"Bad day at work?" I asked with concern.

"No." She sniffed and sat beside me on my bed.

"Then what is it?"

"You know the past week I've had trouble breathing."

I nodded, "It's your asthma."

"But my inhaler hasn't been working so I went to the hospital and they told me it wasn't asthma."

A tear rolled down her cheeks and I held her hand tightly.

"It's cancer." She finished.

I've heard that word in school before, it's a deadly disease and there's a small percentage of surviving it. I looked at her speechless.

"I knew it was almost time, both my mother and grandmother had it when they were around fifty. This is the reason why I didn't have children of my own." I can hear the lump in her throat as she talks.

Tears started coming out and she pulled me into a hug. This isn't happening right now. She can't leave me. I would have no one.

"Please don't die." I sobbed.

"I don't have a choice in that, sweetie." She cried.

"You can't leave me."

"I'll never leave you. Even when I'm gone, I'll always be watch over you."

"I love you." I hugged her tighter.

"I love you too."

I opened my eyes and found myself in a room. The room is very dusty, the white paint on the wall had turned brown and there were also stains on the wall which looked like blood. I don't want to wonder who was in this room before me. There were four small holes at the corners of the wall to allow sunlight in. The only way out of this room is the wooden door. I was lying on a mattress and tried to sit up but felt my head spinning so lied down again.

Went back to the suite. A masked man attacked me. Felt something hit my head.

This must be where the masked men took me. I rolled to my side and touched the back of my head, I flinched in contact. It bloody hurts. After much effort, I managed to sit up straight and saw a glass of water near the door. I took it and drank the whole thing within seconds.

Where am I? How long has it been since I was knocked out? Who kidnapped me?

I peeked under the door to try to find any clue as to where am I but I only saw a hallway of at least ten more doors. I sighed in defeat and went back to lie down on the mattress.

Are there other people here? Of course, this is where they torture people to extract information. Are they going to kill me? Most likely.

I must have been staring at the wall for about an hour, watching the sunlight fade as the sun sets. Suddenly, the door opened and two Spanish men walked in and saw that I was not unconscious anymore. They something in Spanish to each other and then grabbed my arms, walking out of the room. We walked all the way to the end of the hallway which is a metal door instead of a wooden one. One of the men put his finger on the scanner and the door opened.

It revealed to be another room where there's a table and two chairs which are opposite each other. There a light bulb attached to each corner of the wall which gives the room light as there are no windows. The two men let go of my arms and gestured me sit down. I noticed a door on my right and whoever we're waiting for must be walking through that.