𝐞 𝐥 𝐞 𝐯 𝐞 𝐧

Could he be alive? Where could he be right now? Where has he been since the supposed plane crash?

"My brother could be alive... After all this time..." Viktor said softly, looking down at his food.

Silence filled the atmosphere and I had no more appetite. I looked at Viktor, careful about the words coming out. "Do you want to head back to the hotel now? I'll ask them to take the food away, don't think either of us feel like eating anymore."

"Yeah, sure," he replied, still looking down.
He desperately needs a hug right now.

I walked over to the other side of the table and hugged him tightly, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. As he hugged me back, I heard him sniff softly.

At that moment, I did not care if anyone was staring at us, I just knew Viktor needed me. Eventually we had to pull away from the silent embrace. I walked over to the counter and asked the lady to take away our food.

The burger place was pretty close to the hotel so we decided to walk back instead. It took us a good ten minutes to do so and the entire time,t was just complete and utter silence between me and Viktor. I was afraid anything I said would affect him even more.

What do you say to someone whose brother was presumed dead for the past seventeen years?

"Is there anything I can do for you?" I finally asked when we were back in our room not knowing what else to say.

"No, I'm just going to take a shower. You can continue looking through," Viktor replied and walked into the bathroom, his shoulders slumped.

I sighed and sat on my bed, took out my phone and continued looking at the pictures, trying to find more clues so as to what actually happened on that plane. But instead, I ended up falling asleep.

"Are you excited for your first day of school? In a new part of Russia?"

"No," I deadpanned.

"What? Why? You have to admit it's a little exciting, meeting new teachers and classmates, new surroundings, making new friends... and cute boys," A smirk was forming at the corner of Nikita's mouth as she said that.

"Whatever. School is school. Boring lessons, loads of homework, annoying teachers, mean bullies, and boys who think so highly of themselves."

"But it's your first day! At least have a positive mindset for a day. Just a day?" she pleaded.

I guess she really wanted a good start after what happened.

"Fine" I said, jokingly stretching out the syllable.

Her lips curved into a smile. "Alright, great! You got your lunchbox?"

"Yep."

"Okay, I'll see you at two-thirty. Have a great first day!" She was smiling so widely that I had no choice but to smile back.

I just couldn't stop thinking about dad... Adrian. Even though it had already been months, I still couldn't get over his death. He wasn't even a good guy. Then why do I still feel... sad? I shouldn't feel sad! I should feel relieved he's not in our lives anymore! He abused mom and—

"Something's wrong, what is it?"

I sighed and decided to be honest. "It's my fault. What happened to... Adrian, it's all my—"

She placed her hand on my shoulder. "No, it's not. You did what you had to do. He was going to hurt us. He wasn't a good man. We need to move on from this, that's why we moved, remember?"