𝐟 𝐨 𝐮 𝐫 𝐭 𝐞 𝐞 𝐧

"Viktor!" I screamed.

"He's not here?" Zen whipped around to face me.

"He was supposed to be right behind me—"

No. This is not happening right now. No way. He can't be dead. I refuse to believe this.

"I can't find him anywhere." Zen was panting as he just ran around to look.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I dropped to my knees, burying my face in my hands.

"I'm... I'm so sorry." Zen crouched beside me and put his hand on my shoulder.

Zen stayed right by my side, as I felt the heat from the flames, the remains of the warehouse now just a pile of ash. I was crying non-stop for who knows how long before I heard the sound of sirens.

"Shit. We have to go now." Zen pulled me up from the ground and led the way.

Once again, someone I cared about had died. I was a parasite; anyone who came near me or got too close died. Viktor, my only friend since Zari, the only one who believed we could actually find out the whole truth. I still couldn't believe he was gone. Barely minutes ago, he was still alive. And now, I was left all alone again.

I lost track of time as we kept walking, except for the slow burning in my legs. After the events of the day, all I wanted to do was curl up in a bed and cry myself to sleep.

Just when I thought my legs would give out, we stopped in front of a small trailer in the middle of nowhere.

"This is my brother's place. He works the night shifts, so no one is home. Let's get you cleaned up, okay?" Zen said in a comforting voice. I simply nodded in response, too tired to voice my thoughts.

I sat on the sofa while Zen made some tea in the kitchen, still processing what had happened. It happened all too fast.

"There you go," he said as he handed me the tea. I replied with a soft 'thank you.'

The tea had a comforting vanilla and cranberry flavor, very relaxing. For a moment, I pretended to forget everything that had happened.

He cleared his throat, unsure how to start. "You know, I still don't know your name."

"Alveanea."

"That's a nice name." He gave me a small smile, but I couldn't return it.

"Do you need anything?" he asked softly.
"I need a phone. Need to call someone."

"Here, you can use mine. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me." He left the room, giving me some privacy.

I opened the phone and took the business card from Breton I had stuffed deep into my pocket. Thankfully, Luis and his men hadn't noticed it.

I took a deep breath and dialled his number. My finger was centimetres away from the call button, but I hesitated. Why did I need to continue this? Viktor was dead. But, I felt my hand subconsciously touching the necklace Nikita gave me and felt the engraving on it. I knew all too well what it said.

Endure till the end.

I can't give up, I'm far too deep in now, and Viktor would want me to finish this. I have no choice but to involve Breton now.

"Hello?" Breton's voice came from the other end.

"Hi. I don't know if you remember me, I'm that girl you met in Moscow. I accidentally crashed into you..."

"Right, yes, I remember. The girl on a mission?" I smiled at that. He remembered me.

"Yes, well, I'm in a bit of a situation and I need your help."