Starstruck 39. Love In The Making

39. Love In The Making

Ding Ding Ding Ding. A tinkle of glass. All of us turned to my dad who stood up from the couch, a wine glass in his hand. He had the widest smile on his face. Raising his hand he announced, "A toast for my daughter Glace who just won her first Academy Award. Cheers!"

"Cheers!" Everyone said, following his example as he drank the contents of the glass. After a collective congratulation from all of them which I just shrugged off with a polite smile, they resumed to their activities. My eyes went from person to person. Andrea was there, looking beautiful as usual, her hair pulled up. She was at present talking to my dad, as if they were old friends, which when I thought about it, they were, considering that they have known each other for roughly 6 years now.

At my immediate right were Tim and his boyfriend Fabio, talking animatedly. Probably flirting. In one corner of the room stood Patty and Eris. My best friend was looking at Patty like she wanted to devour her. Boy that expression on Eris face never gets old. She was so attached to the blue eyed girl.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, followed by a warm hug. Cinnamon scent. "Denise," I murmured just as she broke the hug, taking a step back.

"An Oscars Award. Oh my God!" she gushed, looking genuinely ecstatic for me. "I can't believe my sister won something that big."

"Yeah, well it's about time don't you think?"

"Uh huh." She looked me up and down. "But you don't look so good."

"What?" I touched my face. "You think I have the flu?"

Denise rolled her eyes. "You're supposed to look happy. You won a freaking award! What's wrong with you?" A pause. Deep breath from her. "Is this about Dulce?" Bingo!

I avoided her penetrating gaze. "She said she'd visit in time for the awards night." My shoulder slumped. "Yet she's not here is she?"

My sister bit her lip, contemplating on something. She opened and closed her mouth, as if she wanted to divulge information to me. In the end she said, "I'm sure she's just busy. Wait a bit more ok?"

"I've been waiting for 6 years for her." Bitterness was all over my tone. How could I not be bitter when it felt like Dulce didn't want to come home? I took a deep breath. Losing my cool on this important day was not an option. "I just want her to come home. That's all."

Denise patted my shoulder. "She will. Don't worry."

Patty and Eris, as well as Tim and his boyfriend joined our small group. They gave each other sad knowing looks before turning to me. What was their deal? I thought as my stomach made a small flip. Eris forced a smile on her face. "There's my little award winning talent," she said proudly. Oh God. Why was she trying so hard?

"Congratulations Frio," Patty said with a small smile. Compared to Eris, I was thankful that she wasn't pretending to be all happy-happy joy-joy. "You deserve everything."

"Of course!" Tim chimed in with a flourish of his hand. "I expected this from the start Frio. Just know that I was rooting from you. I was a fan!" he shrieked. "I even became the head of your fan club, but now Dulce is the president."

"Thanks," I muttered glumly when my girlfriends name was mentioned. The mood couldn't turn more sour. Patty elbowed Tim discreetly.

As if it couldn't get worse, my dad and Andrea walked to us, bringing their false joy that I wasn't really in the mood for. "Glace." His eyes twinkled.

"Yes dad?"

"Remember what I told you about that new show?" I nodded. "We'll be shooting in two weeks."