Starstruck Chapter 3. Real Identity

Chapter 3. Real Identity

I didn’t know where Glace disappeared to, but after the chaos inside the classroom died down when she left, I shoved my notebook inside my bag and got up from my chair. It was completely unbelievable. The girl I helped and had a HUGE crush on was super famous. To make it worse, she saw my dorky doodle on my notebook.

Oh God. . . How could I show my face to her tomorrow? Please ground, just swallow me whole. If not, then make her forget about it, I prayed. I headed to my locker and saw Denise waiting for me while leaning against the wall. I groaned to myself. If it wasn’t one thing, it was the other. I ignored her and opened the door to my locker.

“Why the cold shoulder Dulce?” she asked from behind.

I pretended that I didn’t hear her and arranged my stuff inside the locker. Her footsteps alerted me that she was getting nearer.

“I’m serious babe. I really want to be your friend. Please don’t avoid me.” Her warm breath against my ear felt uncomfortable, so I leaned away and glared at her.

“Denise,” I said in frustration. “I’m not your babe, and can you please not do that again? I thought you didn’t want to be my girlfriend. Why are you still giving me mixed signals? It’s not only annoying, it throws me off-track.”

There, I said it to her. Maybe she’d get the hint and leave me alone. It was bad enough that I was rejected, but did she have to go near me every chance she got?

She lowered her eyes and twirled a lock of her blonde hair with a finger before glancing back at me. “I’m sorry for turning you down okay? I know I was a bitch for doing that, but give me a chance Dulce. Let’s be friends please.”

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and raised my eyebrows. “What for? Don’t tell me it’s because of popularity reasons. You’re pretty popular yourself so you don’t need me for that.”

“Of course not,” she said with wide eyes. “Look, let me prove to you that I’m serious this time.”

“How?”

“Let’s go out today, just you and me. No mixed signals, no innuendo, just plain old friendship talk. That sounds good?”

I thought about it for a second. From the looks of it, Denise would continue to pester me if I didn’t give in to her. I could always try avoiding her, but that would be hard because we run in the same circles. Besides, having her as a friend would be better than being all awkward with her. I guess this was for the best.

“Okay Denise, let’s go out today. But don’t forget about your promise. This is for friendship and nothing else right?” She nodded sincerely.

“I’ll just text Tim and Patty so they’d go home without me.” I grabbed my phone from my jeans and quickly sent my two best friends a message. I didn’t wait for their reply and replaced the phone inside my pocket.

“So where do you want to go Dulce?”

“Want to hang out at my favorite coffee shop?”

“Sure, whatever babe,” she said with a nod.

Since both of us brought a ride, we just agreed to meet inside the café. I was the first one to arrive. The inviting smell of cream and coffee greeted me as I opened the door to the shop. I couldn’t help but smile to myself. I felt completely at home here.

“Hey Dulce,” said Tina- one of my favorite barista’s. Everyone knew me here since I visit once or twice a week. Yeah, I was addicted to coffee like that. My heart probably pumped brown liquid inside me.